1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 I'm starting today

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Scouser, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Scouser

Scouser New Member

My story here http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/im-hoping-i-have-tms.5732/

Im going to make a start today. I have accepted that there is a good chance I have TMS, as after reading J Sarno's book too many things correspond to my symptoms, for it not to be.

I have a positive mind and tell myself I can be cured of this, that to me seems like a good starting point.

I worked today ( I don't have an option - self employed ) But ordinarily I would be very apprehensive as I have a quite a physical job, but today I told myself the problems are mind based and proceeded with my work telling myself I feel good. Usually the symptoms don't come for a couple of days after the activity, and that can lead to anxiety, however with this new mindset I hope to not fear what might be and make an effort to regain my life and all the things I love.

As it has only been a couple of weeks since I last had pain, my mind is telling me to go easy and ease myself back in, but since I have started reading the books, im inclined to go for a bike ride and rejoin the gym asap, maybe that's not a great idea ?

A life without TMS to me would mean a life without physical pain and freedom to do what I love

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Scouser. Your positive attitude and belief in TMS is going to give you your life back and then some.
    It will be even better than before.

Go ahead and take the bike rides and rejoin the gym. You can't hurt yourself. Your pain is in your mind,
    from TMS. Take a look at this new video by Herbie for reassurance about TMS.

http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/what-to-know-to-heal-from-pain-pt-1.5482/

Herbie (Eric Watson) and I wrote a book about TMS healing that has lots of healing techniques in it:
    GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO BE IN PAIN.
    It's on amazon.smile books in paperback and Kindle.

3. Scouser

Scouser New Member

Well day 2, I started to get my life back and went for a bicycle ride, which I have been fearful about for some time. Was a lovely ride and enjoyed it immensely, also felt I indulged the inner child who I think has missed having fun. Then I went for a long walk on the beach as it was a lovely evening and tried to think of any emotional things that could have been subconsciously buried and thought about that a little..

When I went to bed I felt something not quite right in my leg (funny how the pain shifts) gave it a serious talking to, ie i'm not having this, you can bloody buck up your ideas leg! Along with thinking of any emotional things that could be causing a problem. Had a fairly restless night, but told my pain in no uncertain terms that I will fight it to the bitter end.

Day 3

Woke up fine, other than the afore mentioned leg! Which is nothing to be concerned about. So far i'm really encouraged ! Today I gave myself the task of making another you tube video, which is another thing I have been fearful of doing, as I have wrongly thought this is another contributor, to the pain with my wrists.
    For anyone interested in learning to play guitar my you tube channel is here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpCvklQZDc8E1WOXyHkbOPg

Long may this continue, and if pain returns it shall be addressed appropriately..

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

It's wonderful to hear you are taking bike rides and walks along the beach.
    But I would just enjoy the outings and think of other things than pain.
    Keep your mind on enjoying the things you see when you ride or walk.
    Give your mind a vacation from any pain.

I also like it that you're doing a you tube video. You're helping people with guitar instruction and
    that should make you feel good about yourself.

Tell your pain to get lost.

5. Scouser

Scouser New Member

So far so good, been following structured program day by day. Back to the gym today, feels good to be getting back on track. Taking a lot more care to listen to my emotions, when they come knocking..

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Good to hear you're taking the plunge, scouser! Your story is titled "I'm hoping I have TMS". One thing I didn't mention back on that post is that you want to remember that TMS is the brain's built-in defense system against dangerous emotions. As Dr. Sarno points out, blushing is a form of TMS. What this means is that of course you have TMS, because EVERYONE has TMS!

Those of us who land here just tend to have it a "bit" more than other people, that's all :hurting:

Today I've been writing about negative self-talk - you know, the negative assumptions and anxieties and fears that our brains are constantly telling us in an ill-advised attempt to keep us "safe". I think this worked just fine in the days when all we had to do was survive long enough to breed the next generation. It does not serve us well in this modern world.

The thing is, it's easy to give in to that talk if you're not paying attention. Awareness will give you the ability to turn that talk around and banish the negative brain.

As Walt suggested, being in the "now" while you're enjoying yourself is a good technique.

Keep us posted!

~Jan