1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Ice pack?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mkdragonfly, Mar 30, 2017.

1. mkdragonfly

mkdragonfly New Member

I am in the process of doing the structured program. I hesitate to say what day I am on, as it seems that "counting the day" seems to be counterproductive. But during my time in this program, I have twice warded off what has, in the past, been a serious back pain that usually lasts at least three weeks. I could feel it coming on, and in the past, I would have the fear - "uh-oh.. I know the pain is on it's way!" I changed that thinking to "no, it is just TMS, it is just my repressed emotions" and it went away. That was pretty cool! I have low-grade chronic pain in many areas, and the most persistent (for about nine months or so now) is a sciatic pain in my left hip and leg and down to my foot. It can move around in my leg and hip some. Sitting (as I am doing now) seems to make it worse, but for the last few weeks I have been making myself do it, especially for the journaling and reading. Most of the time I put a large flat ice pack under my rear and thighs, mainly because it numbs the pain so I don't think about it as much. I usually do this when I drive also (another big problem). I am wondering if I need to give this up? I can't seem to get a handle on this pain. Doing lots of journaling everyday.

2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I'd say lose the ice pack. It's a crutch and a pain killer. I know it's hard to ignore a pain that's constantly 'gnawing at your leg' and crying for attention, but carrying around ice for it is paying it attention.

mike2014 likes this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes! Think psychologically and not physically. Focusing on the body will feed the pain cycle.

Try and take away the focuss from the pain by doing something you enjoy.

MindBodyPT likes this.
  4. mkdragonfly

mkdragonfly New Member

Okay. I'll do it. I'm taking a leap of faith. Today my focus is all about self-compassion. I realize that the drill seargeant ( inside me) needs to step down and I've invited my loving friendly sweet and caring therapist (again, inside me) to spend the day with me. Feel like I need to "knock on wood" but I think I'm having less pain today on sitting.

EileenS and mike2014 like this.
  5. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

You got this! Find something to do that brings you joy, something you have missed out on since the pain took over. And if that drill sgt keeps nagging you, kindly tell him that he is no longer in charge.

mike2014 likes this.