1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Ic

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kitkatie124, Dec 27, 2015.

1. kitkatie124

kitkatie124 New Member

how are you doing :)

2. she333

she333 Peer Supporter

Ok. How are you? Thanks for asking! Some really good days, some not so good ones. Some days really feeling like I need to go to the bathroom when I know I don't which is annoying. I've really been working on and I think making some progress in believing that its nothing and not caring about it. I had less days where I find myself running to the bathroom again and again. There's been a lot of anxiety which I know is feuling things. I started going to meditation once a week, & I am working with someone from the pain psychology center. I also found two more people online that improved from IC with Tms methods so that always helps me. How's progress going for you? Oh I also started reading a Steve ozanich's book. That has helped because he does a good job of describing just how it difficult, long and frustrating his own journey was. And that has helped me to look back when I am really feeling frustrated or upset about all this, and see how far I've come when I compare myself to how I was last spring or summer. I mean now there are days or sometimes parts of days when I'm really living.

Grateful17 likes this.
  3. DianeD

DianeD Newcomer

Hi...
    I really hope you get this message...it's been a few years since you left this. I saw that you use DNRS (which I"ve been using for 8 months). I hope to be able to find you on the DNRS site too! Anyways, I haven't seen much on DNRS helping interstitial cystitis...and would love to hear if and how it's helped you!? I have many chronic "ITs", 24/7...but the pain i've been having from my IC is unbearable. Would love to connect with you!
    Thanks so much,
    Diane :)

4. CGP

CGP Peer Supporter

I’m here too - completely healed IC using these techniques.

You can message me if you like!

readytoheal and DianeD like this.
  5. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

This is an interesting thread, I too have bladder pain and pelvic pain. I found a good doctor who ruled IC out and told me that is is psychosomatic. And I am usually doing well. I follow the program of Dr. Schubiner since summer, though I am not doing it daily. If I am doing fine, I always think that it is all gone. But it keeps coming back and usually there is a good reason. I will have a look at the DNRS. And then I would like to know how you, CGP get rid of your bladder problems?
    And another topic that came up in this thread: food as trigger. Everyone who had a look at the IC network website is of course familiar with the IC diet. I tried it several times, each time for several months. With no effect. Though the only effect is that I sometimes start to be afraid of eating the ‘forbidden’ foods, like tomato, chocolate or having coffee. I know that it is stupid, but sometimes this pops up and when it does, it indicates that I am in panic and I really have to get back to the TMS program.

6. CGP

CGP Peer Supporter

The most helpful thing for me, probably, was just deciding to be done being a victim. Even though it’s not the nicest, what was most helpful for me was taking on a judgy mindset about all the people in the IC forums, and deciding not to be like them - maybe it’s different now, but a lot of them were very dismissive and almost were bragging about their pain, listing their surgeries in their signatures and slamming anybody who suggested non-medical/mental options. Helped me distance myself from them. Stop reading those forums, if you’re on them, and put away the diets and meds.

It’s also important to focus hard on things that do excite you, despite your pain - I’d just enrolled in art school and started planning a trip to Miami. Whenever i felt awful i would think of my mom, who is the opposite of our personality type, and how she would see situations i was in. I also confronted some things with my husband that I’d been avoiding, and saw a mind/body doctor, Dr. Stracks. who confirmed my pain was psychosomatic.

It’s also helpful to keep a note in your phone of quotes, stories, and inspirational passages from books to look at whenever you’re feeling doubtful.

You can message me if you have more questions...also please forgive the weird punctuation - this iPhone glitch is making me crazy!)

7. Time2be

Dear CPG, so we share the experience with the IC network! Though I had a very good conversation with the founder if the network who agreed that I don’t have IC. But at the network forum I always felt like I am doing all wrong, because I never could find my trigger food. I never took medication, now and then a pain killer, but nothing strong and never more than once or twice a month.
    And I also agree that it is important to do things one is excited about. Usually my work is exciting for me, but right now I have so much tedious overwork that I really get angry inside ... and feel like a victim, although it was me who agreed to the extra work. So, basically I feel trapped at the moment, also with an upcoming surgery (thyroid gland).
    I think I will message you, I have some questions ... thanks!!

CGP likes this.
  8. CGP

CGP Peer Supporter

Please do message me! I would be interested in sharing with you an experience I had with a thyroid procedure that kept me from having to have surgery, in case it could help you...

I think the most important thing is to just switch your mindset from being on the defense/victimized, to being on offense, and taking charge. Fear < Love. Closed < Open.

9. Time2be

Just messaged you!

CGP likes this.
  10. Anxiousone

Anxiousone New Member

I thought I would jump in! I too have been experiencing very disconcerting and depressing bladder symptoms that have now been plaguing me for nearly two years. I'm sorry to hear of others suffering but I have found reading these forums very helpful and comforting.
    In young(ish) men, bladder infections and particularly IC are fortunately uncommon. I remember suggesting to a doctor, the possibility of having IC and he practically laughed in my face. I have been through many tests and nothing yet has confirmed any real diagnosis other than a very vague and confusing 'Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome' or 'Overactive Bladder.'
    What I know for certain is that my symptoms are far worse when I'm stressed or anxious and they appear to have started during a very emotionally stressful time in my life.
    Having read a lot now about TMS, it does seem to make a lot of sense and I have many of the classic character traits.
    I thankfully don't experience pain but the frequency and urgency can dominate my life and it's extremely hard to push it out of my mind and try to have a normal existence.
    Every time I start thinking about my situation in a negative way or self-diagnose myself with something like a prostate problem or a urethral stricture (for example) I can become obsessed and that makes matters worse.
    Before the bladder problems began, I had breathing difficulties and that never turned out to be anything serious and it eventually disappeared so I can only assume it was psychosomatic.

I would love to hear from anyone who can relate.

11. Time2be

Dear anxiousone,
    First of all - and I think others have already told you - your profile name is not really helpful for you. I would change it, if I were you.
    What you describe is normal for people with TMS that shows in the pelvic region and the bladder. You had checks, I guess. An urethra stricture or prostate infection as well as other infections (chlamydia etc.) can be ruled out by a urologist. And I guess you have done this. If so, you can be sure that the frequency etc. is psychosomatic. You had these issue for two years, that is not such a long time as some others here. So, I think your have a very good chance of getting rid of it by following one of the available programs. And don’t be frustrated because of relapses or things are not going so fast. You have to be steady, give yourself time and of course, you have to address this fear issue.

CGP likes this.
  12. Time2be

Dear Anxiousone, I think my first reaction to your profile name was maybe to harsh, I am sorry, I didn't intend to hurt you. I should have said it in a nicer way. But there is something to it, calling yourself Anxiousone you are keeping yourself in a victim position. I don't think that this is helpful. Although I also think that mere positive thinking is a bit overrating - just calling yourself Couragessone will not as such help you, but it will indicate a change! There need to be actions guided by courage and trust. I know what I am talking about, I do struggle at the moment. So, be sure, you can heal yourself. And during this process you will not stay to be the Anxiousone !

13. CGP

CGP Peer Supporter

14. Time2be

Thanks! Your example will help a lots of people. It so good to read that it could be done!