1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

I think pets get TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Marytabby, Feb 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

I know animals don't have the complex concious/subconcious we humans have but I have to ask...
    Can't a pet get TMS?
    Cats are notorious for being very neurotic little creatures. I foster homeless cats who come to me from tough situations and most of them have chronic skin itching or vomiting or strange conditions with no clear diagnosis. No worms, no fleas, all medical tests and labs are fine. Some of them bite and scratch themselves raw. Vets say "it's got be a food allergy" and try as you might to get to the bottom of it being an allergy it never goes away no matter what food ingredient you withhold from the diet (grains, chicken) or food sources and many supplements you add in. They also tend to have a plethora of other neurotic little issues where nothing ever helps. My sister has a cat who was homeless and he has an ear that has been itching him for 5 years since being rescued and he has no ear mites or anything in there and they are finding nothing wrong with him. He has scratched his ear into a hematoma. You often never get any solutions and end up with a cat who is quite full of mysterious issues.
    Then I have a friend whose dog has "herniated discs in his back", anxiety, neuropathy, depression. They have been taking the dog to an acupuncturist and a physical therapist for pool therapy for his hips. The dog is living in a household where there is an alzheimer's relative and there is constant chaos and tension in the house between husband and wife. Nobody in the house gets any sleep because of the elderly relative tantruming. I told him the dog likely has TMS. I am not kidding. Why wouldn't an animal have all kinds of neurotic issues when they're living under these conditions? They have a nervous system, a brain and fear and I believe, "feelings".
    Just my 10 cents...
    Mary in Boston

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

My cat eats only fish leftovers and things like that. And anything she hunts by herself. No one remember how old she is and she is in pretty good shape. I love her attitude in that she eats, cleans herself, relaxes and doesn't worry too much about anything else.

Stressed animals quickly get sick.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I wonder if it's only animals that spend time with humans that get TMS.