1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I think and here the pain comes???

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Emre, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Emre

Emre Peer Supporter

Hi to all

Last week i thought about 'well i didnt get any neck pain lately, great:)' and guess what next day my neck pain came back! And its there since a week.is this only me or do you experience it as well?
    What is this?
    And how can i get over it??

Thank you

2. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Emre

This happened to me all the time. The way I handled it was just to laugh at it, and tell my brain "Nice try, but don't even bother - I know what you're up to". It would just fade away, because it had failed to get my attention. TMS is very devious.

Msunn, Eric "Herbie" Watson and Emre like this.
  3. Emre

Emre Peer Supporter

Thank you for your quick reply Mermaid:)
    I said almost the same thing-many times, but the pain is still there and it insists:(
    I envy people who just by saying that can get rid off the pain because it doesnt happen to me;(

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Emre,

Oh, yes, I experience this too and I find it very frustrating. My best guess about what is going on is that even focusing on the absence of pain, is similar to focusing on the pain, so the unconscious sees this as an opening to distract us. I like Mermaid's suggestion about what to do about it--just see it as another opportunity to talk to your brain. I'm hoping that eventually it will give this up so we can enjoy patting ourselves on the back for our success and progress.

5. Emre

Emre Peer Supporter

How unbelievable to see that our unconcious works like an evil enemy, where as its trying to do just the opposite-help and protect us...what A Dilemma!!

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Sarno says our unconscious brain is not an enemy but a friend, giving us pain so we think about
    our repressed emotions or personality that needs attention. Become aware of a repressed emotion,
    accept it, forgive anyone giving us anxiety or anger, forgive ourself, too. TMS has made me understand
    myself and others better so I feel more relaxed and happy with myself and those who stressed me.
    It goes back to our early years of childhood. We may not think we had anything bad happen back then,
    but it's there. Reflecting and forgiving are the tools for healing.

Msunn and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I see the unconscious more like a wayward child needing some gentle guidance and teaching from my adult conscious brain. Having a divided mind is a challenge, but one we can manage. Just keep at it, Emre, and try not to get discouraged.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

You put it very clearly, Ellen. It takes practice and patience and perseverance to convince
    our unconscious mind we know what it is doing to us. But we are stronger than it and can win the battle.

9. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

I totally agree with Ellen that the unconscious mind could be very rebellious and does not want to give up its schemes.
    Like Walt, says that it takes a lot of perseverance, patience and determination to train the unconscious. We can do it.

I think our job is not to get discouraged or fall for its schemes. This could be very difficult but little by little we will
    win this battle.

I am always amazed to how sometimes I think boy I am not having pain and then it just tries to zap me. I am not
    at the point of laughing at the pain yet but I do hope I will get to that place.

Although the symptoms, may rage I think it is important not to believe we are not getting better.
    In fact, I believe when the symptoms really try to rage is because we are getting a handle on our repressed emotions and getting better.
    And that TMS is loosing its' grip. What does others think about this?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  10. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Happens to me all the time, Emre, even now, as I've progressed well along the TMS recovery path. I used to get mad, only now that I'm on to the tricks my unconscious is trying to play on me, I just get mildly irritated, or often mildly amused. In other words, as your TMS recovery progresses, you'll get more and more detached from the psychological mechanisms. You'll recognize them for what they are as you gain more and more confidence in the TMS diagnosis. In fact, the more you notice these tricks, the more you'll become certain that it's a completely psychological phenomenon that manifests in physical symptoms. You actually sound as if you're in the process of learning that. Just persevere.

11. Emre

Emre Peer Supporter

Thanks a lot Bruce:))

12. Mermaid

I've just experienced an extreme example of what I wrote in my earlier post.

I have to carry out some tricky negotiations at work today, and last night I got horrendous nerve pain in my left buttock ! The first thing I did was to go for a walk to let it know immediately that I know what's going on and it can't control me, it was agony so I promised myself a nice soak in the bath afterwards (TMS bribery works for me). I then free wrote to see what emotions were behind it (excuse the pun :D). Guess what................. this morning no pain, and the negotiations are going well.

I love it when that happens, dumb TMS :joyful:

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

You took control of your emotions, as Forest has posted today. You walked past the pain and treated yourself
    to a soak in the tub for a reward. You wrote about the emotions you felt and slept and woke up without pain.
    And the day's work is going well for you.

You dealt smart with your TMS and won the battle. I hope everyone can follow your example.

North Star and Mermaid like this.
  14. Mermaid

I don't get it right like this every time, but when I do it's a fantastic feeling. It tried to come back a couple of times later in the day, but I managed to chased it off again. I'm having a lot more really good happy days now. I think if I chase it off often enough , one day it's going to just give up on me. Losing my fear of the many weird symptoms I've had has definitely propelled me forward.

15. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Emre, people say it and were able to get rid of the pain because they believe in what they said, they believe in the teaching of Dr Sarno and Claire Weekes, and they were able to eliminate "FEAR" in their mind. Without FEAR their symptoms just disappear.
    The saying alone won't help if you don't truly believe. The Doctor said tms is benign and not dangerous, if you can believe it then what is there to fear about. Once the fear is gone, all those stress hormones will stop flowing, your body will stop tensing, your blood will flow freely to all part our your body, and all the pain will be gone.
    Just work on eliminating your fear and you will heal Emre.

16. okidokisan

okidokisan Peer Supporter

Have you read Steve O's book The Great Pain Deceiption? It has a great chapter on just this. He has some amazing examples. It is so common for someone else to say something to us and whammo...it happens. When I first hurt my back my friend said " I sure hope it doesn't last a year like our friend Debra!"...guess what??? I even knew I was a gonner when she said that. Now you will notice how often people say things like this and how often we say it to ourselves..Get this book..It is amazing.

17. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

Thanks for this thread Enre. I've had the same experience many times. It makes me reluctant to talk it about when I'm without pain! It's a mysterious and baffling process. I've been told on some level I still need the pain. I hope I'm willing to let go of that!

All the best

18. chickenbone

chickenbone Well known member

This happens to me. It seems like I always have one body part to worry about. For months, I had no back pain, but bad allergies. Then 2 weeks ago, I thought "gee I have not had back pain for a really long time. I could actually feel my brain switch from allergies to back pain. Now, no allergies, but having a bout with my back.

19. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Boy, this sure seems to be a problem common to TMS patients! I think in this thread we've documented a recurrent feature of TMS. But of course Steve Ozanich - in his thorough, encyclopedic way - devotes a whole chapter to this very phenomenon. Seems as though Steve has been everywhere ahead of us.

20. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Emre, Msunn, chickenbone. As long as you fear to think about something -- well that will keep you on pins and needles and that's TMS so we cant fear to think of the pain, right. But we are supposed to think 100% psychological about the emotions we have right -- so I'd think about why? am I in fear to think of the pain and see what emotions arise their and think about those emotions, process them or journal about them.

Its the same analogy of when we break a leg. We don't fear to think about the broken leg cause we know its going to get better, right.

Thanks Guys.

PS - I believe when we know that we have neural pathways, even knowing that can become a belief that we see in our minds eye and then when we lose concentration and think in the physical automatically we think oh my gosh I messed up. No just go right back to the emotional at this point ok.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    Msunn likes this.