1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I know I have TMS; I just can't convince my back of same.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by NH TMS, Apr 23, 2015.

1. NH TMS

NH TMS New Member

Hi Folks.....great website and very informative, I discovered it 4 months ago but have just now registered to post messages. I have also read Dr. Sarno's book 'Healing Back Pain, the mind-body connection' twice.

As the subject heading says, I am sure I have TMS. Although I ''slipped a disc'' [herniation at L4 and L5] in 2008 there is literally nothing in my Xrays or MRI's to indicate something is still wrong with me. I initially had great pain and an extruding disc, which was handled with 6 weeks of bed rest but the disc, while flattened out, is fine and now in its place where it should be. Doctors look at my MRI's and must think I am a nut because they all agree; there is nothing wrong here.

And yet, I can't stand for more than 3 or 4 minutes at a time. Making a sandwich or doing laundry is impossible, as is standing on line or attending a concert or anything where I may have to stand for more than 5 minutes. Walking; same. I can maybe go 200 yards before I have to sit down or lean on something and always with excruciating pain. It makes life really un-enjoyable and with nothing to look forward to, and weight gain is literally killing me; I am now 100 pounds overweight. When sitting and lying down are the only times you feel even a little comfortable, you lose all incentive to stand, walk, exercise or enjoy life. Thankfully I work from home on my PC.

I know I have TMS; I tell my body every day I have TMS; I try and laugh off the pain and mock my lower back and buttocks as have been suggested, but nothing works. Still unbelievable, mind-altering pain.

7 years now of this; a half-dozen MRI's, another half-dozen epidurals, x-rays, therapy, dozens of DR visits, quack TV fixes, pain meds which don't help, etc.....just how do I go about convincing my back and my buttocks there is really nothing wrong there?

Thank you.

2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Please check out Ketogenic diets, best way for u to maintain weight whilst inactive!
    When you shift some pounds you will feel more confident and able to exercise more vigorously , challenging the brain to accept defeat

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, MH TMS. I hope you can find a diet to lose those extra pounds.
    Being overweight can cause physical pain, but you may be overeating because you have
    emotional problems, and that is TMS. You've already had tests that prove your pain is not structural.

I urge you to begin the Structured Educational Program, free on the subforum here. It will show you
    the way to discover the emotional cause or causes of your pain and how to heal from them.

Barbara Streisand has a fear of performing in public (can you imagine?) so she stocks her limousine
    with snack food and eats her way to becoming calm enough to sing at a concert. Many others in
    various occupations do the same. When I am stressed, I eat peanuts or have a bowl of popcorn.

Happy dieting! Most everyone is doing it, so you are not alone.

4. NH TMS

NH TMS New Member

Thanks very much! Will begin the structured program right now......

Lizzy likes this.
  5. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

NH TMS, I am so glad you found Dr. Sarno and this tmswiki! It is an awesome place!

When I was unable to be active due to pain (TMS) in my foot I was very upset/stressed about weight gain. As you work the SEP I suggest you also think about how that might be affecting you, so try to "think psychological" about all the "stuff" you have about food, weight, diets etc. TMS is very body worry focused. Do you have thin friends who are not dieters? They are not focused on food, they don't worry about it and eat whatever, whenever they feel like it. I used to wish I could be like them. Well, now that I am learning about TMS and equivelents, I think I can, but I have to change myself indirectly. The more I focus on something (physical) the worse it gets. It is an amazing learning process!

The SEP has really helped me, and many here have success stories that have probably already been helping you. It begins in the mind and changes your subconscience given time.

Keep in touch, Lizzy