1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I don’t know if my pain is real or not

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mohsen, Oct 22, 2022.

1. Mohsen

Mohsen Newcomer

Hello everyone

Recently I injured my back. My back gave out for like 5 secs and had a very bad and sharp pain. I went to my GP a few days later and had a CT scan and on it showed a very small bulging/protruding disc on my L5/S1. I did not have much pain on my back but it made me so conscious about it. After about a week or so later my pain gradually started. The pain is a very dull but it’s very discomforting. It’s been almost 3 months and still have the pain but now I have pain on my chest, sometimes on my arms and elbow and a sore throat that is not leaving me.
    I also suffer from severe general anxiety disorder and health anxiety disorder as well as depression.
    I have to mention that I am originally from Afghanistan and my anxiety started after the taliban took over the country. The reason I was so stressed and anxious was because my wife was in kabul and I did not know if I can get my wife out of Afghanistan safely. But to no end. I managed to book a ticket and leave Australia and go to Afghanistan so I can get my wife out of there. I was there for 3 month and finally was able to go to Pakistan. Then I was in Pakistan for another 6 month waiting for Australian government to get my wife visa. I finally managed to return back to Australia after about 10 months.
    While I was in Pakistan and Afghanistan I was under so much pressure and anxiety that since I returned nothing is pleasurable for me anymore.
    I did read dr Sarno’s book Healing back pain and made me wonder if I have TMS.
    I’m new to this and would to know if you guys think I have TMS.
    Sorry for my bad English.
    Please if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask me.

2. mbo

mbo Well known member

Mohsen,
    ALL pain is REAL, you are a perfect candidate for TMS pain and....you are in the correct site, for sure.
    Hold the line!

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

No need to apologize, @Mohsen! You write better than many young Americans these days, and your post was well written and quite clear.

Welcome to the forum, because, as @mbo said, you found the right place. All pain is created in our brains, which is why all pain is equally real. The only difference is that some pain becomes chronic because our brains want us to remain in a constant state of fear and anxiety, and pain is a great way to do that. Pain is also a great way to avoid thinking about deeper emotions that are too negative or painful to think about openly, as Dr Sarno explains.

I am glad that you're safely back in Australia, and I assume your wife also made it there with you, but the transition can't be easy for her, adding to your stress, and here in the safety of my region of the world, I can't even begin to imagine what you have both been through.

You can start doing our free Structured Educational Program where you will enhance your knowledge of mindbody symptoms and start to learn techniques to uncover and work through your negative emotions including, I expect, deep rage over what has happened to you, to your family and friends, and to your country. You are suffering from a crisis over which you have almost no control, which is a situation that our brains find frighteningly unsafe and intolerable. As you do the work, be compassionate with yourself, and give yourself a lot of credit for being here and taking a step in a new direction. And keep us posted.

Good luck,

~Jan

4. Mohsen

Mohsen Newcomer

Thank you both for your kind remarks.

Dear Jan
    The thing is I don’t know for sure if I have is TMS or is the Health anxiety disorder which make me more anxious and delaying my healing. I wish there was a therapist that could diagnose me with TMS so I would know if it’s for sure is TMS.

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Ah, but in our world, anxiety is another form of TMS. Dr Sarno surmised this himself, late in his career.