1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I believe 100% in TMS but do not heal

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by isabel77, Dec 18, 2022.

1. isabel77

isabel77 Newcomer

Hi I have had back pain/sciatica for more than 20 years now. I am now 46.

It started with my first job after university - a very stressful time for me in every possible aspect in my life. I was crossing my legs while sitting at the computer when it started all of a sudden. It never stopped since then.

I did every test under the moon, tried everything and they never found any wrong with me, so I guess I knew it was something psychosomatic already back then, because I had 2 phobias and a lot of anxiety in my life.

I discovered Sarno’s TMS 7 years ago, and I immediately knew this is what I have. This even led me to change everything in my life, my job, the country I lived in, I divorced my husband…

I believe the theory 100%, I do the work, but I have not healed. I still feel I need to change something else in my life to heal….Today I am absolutely desperate. Why the pain does not go away?

Thank you

2. gx92

gx92 Peer Supporter

Sounds like you are trying to hard to heal, doing the "work" in order to heal, so more pressure on yourself maybe instead of doing it from a joyfull perspectiv. Also you need to become indifferent to the pain, dont care anymore if its there or not and just loving life. Correct me if im wrong, but i noticed myself that i dont make much progresse exectly because i pressure myself hard to do it all correct and heal :)

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello @isabel77, and welcome.

Can you tell us what work you've done? By that, I mean some kind of structured program, usually with writing and other self-discovery exercises?

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

It could be down to just couple things. They are subtle, but make all the difference.
    There is a huge difference between believing in your head and believing in your heart. You would never know the difference, until you get there, when the understanding of TMS becomes instinctive and automatic, in response to all things in your daily life. Are you there?
    Trying too hard and too much. Chronic pain strikes mostly obsessive perfectionists (aka TMS personalities). How do you know whether you are doing too much or not, if everything you do you do this way? Step back and compare yourself to other people. Try to loosen up - it takes a while to realize that loosening up means becoming more normal :=).
    Changing everything in your life, your job, your country, divorce - all that alone is a MAJOR stress factor which could lead to chronic pain. Would that help reducing chronic pain? May be not! I am not saying it was the wrong thing to do, but to expect just that to help you heal may be a stretch. It is not about WHAT you do, it is about HOW you do it.

I hope all the above helps to get you out of the loop you are in.

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

100% agree with this! Eliminating stressors is only one factor. Doing the emotional work is another necessary factor, and permanently changing how you think is yet another.

Cactusflower and TG957 like this.
  6. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

100% !

Cactusflower likes this.