1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

hypervigilance

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by miquelb3, Sep 9, 2017.

1. miquelb3

miquelb3 Well known member

I wonder about the role of a hypervigilant personality in the genesis of TMS pain.
    By hypervigilant personality I mean an enhanced state of sensory sensitivity accompanied by an exaggerated intensity of behaviors whose purpose is to detect supposed dangers as well as a high responsiveness to stimuli and a constant scanning of the environment for threats, no matter how benign

("stop!, beware!!!!! look carefully at the expiration date of that yogurt!")

More from the web:
    Typical examples of root causes of hypervigilance syndrome include frequent ridicule, a perceived humiliation, or the rejection of achievements. The disorder can also be caused by a single traumatic event, the memory of which has been suppressed deeply within the subconscious mind.
    Hypervigilant people become very bogged down in the trivial details of everyday life and can waste huge amounts of personal energy on seemingly unimportant things.

Interesting subject, IMHO !

thanks !

Lavender likes this.
  2. Jules

Jules Well known member

I was told by my therapist this is what I have. I am overly sensitive to sound, touch, smells, any kind of stimulation that my brain senses is dangerous. Because of this, my brain is always scanning my body for danger, which lead to tension headaches, stomach aches, and a number of other things.

I believe that is why I have had 20 years of chronic pain, along with anxiety. This was all due to accumulated PTSD as a child and as an adult. I am now just learning how to do deep breathing to calm myself.