1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How to psychologically handle days when the pain is less

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by browndogisinthehouse, Apr 15, 2016.

1. browndogisinthehouse

browndogisinthehouse Peer Supporter

Sometimes, I have good days when the pain is less. Mostly it is when the activity is less but hopefully I can uncover the psychological aspect with also. I just wanted to understand what do I do when this happens. Earlier, the tendency was too start thinking that this perhaps is probably the beginning of the end of pain. Now since this has happened so many times, I try to avoid acknowledging it because then obviously the hope that is built up crashes and leads to more depression when the pain increases. Staying neutral is probably the best answer but I am not really sure what does it mean. Any inputs

eskimoeskimo likes this.
  2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I believe the neutral state you're alluding to is what Alan Gordon calls "outcome independence". Think his essay by that same name is one the TMS Wiki under Alan Gordon. Perhaps reading that will give you some perspective on it.

3. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Recovery is not linear. Do not be disappointed by this, that will fuel tms. I know it is hard but worth working on, I find accepting the pain (or whatever symptom that may show up) helps me to relax about it. I am then reprogramming my reactions to the pain in a way that takes the power out of it.

Also on a more practical note when I tried a new activity that would hurt me, I would try it again a few days later more mindfully and would get a better result. For example when I tried yoga for the first time in 15 years it hurt so much I literally cried and felt frustrated, but decided determinedly to do it again and it was fine!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    MWsunin12 likes this.
  4. browndogisinthehouse

browndogisinthehouse Peer Supporter

Thank you for your responses. I read outcome Independence and I guess I never connected it to when the pain is better. I will go read it again and listen to the audio also thank you