1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

how to handle symptom "kickback"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sarah Jacoba, May 30, 2017.

1. Sarah Jacoba

Sarah Jacoba Peer Supporter

Looking for encouragement or advice. I've been digging into treating my "post concussive syndrome" as TMS (4 months post concussion). For me that has been getting back into yard work, playing drums, spending lots of time on screen, exercising harder.

But after 4 days of pretty aggressive "I can do anything" anti-TMS fearlessness I wake up today with a lot more tension headache, dizziness, ... all the things that used to signify that I was overdoing it.

I have gotten email from Dr. Schecter and Dr. Sopher and I am consulting with both an allopath and naturopath. All 4 have basically been in agreement that my brain has recovered, that my "go for it" approach is fine.

so how do you handle this symptom kickback?

I have noticed, as an aside, that my "concussive" symptoms used to come and go alot more when I was careful. now that I'm back to normal life, the dizziness and constriction in my forehead have actually become more entrenched and constant. not sure what to make of any of this some days

2. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hi,
    Your brain does that. It's almost like it's taunting you. I approach it with patience and compassion. Just keep telling yourself it's TMS and it will go away. Be kind to yourself and do something that makes you really happy to the best of your ability. Maybe watch a funny movie? Have compassion for yourself. Tell yourself that you have been through a lot and you will get through this. For whatever reason your TMS is flaring up as a headache and dizziness but it will subside. Do that every day and it will go away.

3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I have a new video going up soon on the TMS Healing Wall of Victory that reminds me of this from a dancer who had post concussion syndrome. I don't know what "spending lots of time on screen," or "symptom kickback," or "anti-TMS fearlessness" even means, but I do know from experience that you need to get away from allopathic and naturopathic in order to heal. They are the problem, stop relying on them and their advice and heal permanently.

4. Sarah Jacoba

Steve, I appreciate your replying, but I dont feel like youre listening to my dilemma. You're assuming I have TMS in this situation. I sustained a real injury (hitting my head on concrete) Feb. 3. The point is that it is very scary to just ignore and push through symptoms in the wake of an actual injury. Because of the fact I had a real injury recently, it is easy to doubt when increased activity is followed by symptoms. Maybe it's me and I didnt explain my dilemma well.

5. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Sarah,

I was in a car accident and end up with mild concussion, waking up in the morning with dizziness, brain fog, nausea, etc.

Initially I took L-arginine and L-glutamine known for increasing blood flow and healing. In fact, if you do a search online L-glutamine is given to patients with brain injuries in ICUs.

But after two weeks when I thought I was almost healed, I bent down and had serious symptoms again.

At that point I went four sessions of scalp acupuncture and was all healed after that.

Hope this helps.

6. Sarah Jacoba

Thanks Fred. I was looking at your book just the other day! (I've had it for a long time)
    was the concussion before or after the book experience?

7. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Forgive me if you already said, but have you talked with the physician who treated your concussion and expressed your concerns? If so, had you gotten the "all clear" to resume all activity? If so, I think you're good and it could possibly be anxiety. I've had a lot of weird symptoms from anxiety including vertigo and headaches. IMHO if naturopathic and allopathic medicine helps, I see nothing wrong with it--even if it is a placebo.

8. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Many years after the book. Better to be careful and make sure you are completely healed.

9. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Ok, I just re-read your post after you said I wasn't listening to your dilemma. But you wrote that 4 professionals agreed that you have already recovered. So you no longer have a real injury and so it normally defaults to TMS, either through conditioning or continuing need for diversion. The brain is opportunistic in its desire to divert awareness if the need still exists. I only mentioned the new video of the dancer with the same scenario as you because it is most relevant but there have been others who have been in your situation and recovered.

If you're asking why it gets worse with more aggressive activity as compared to less physical activity then the answer is the same, you are still in a TMS state. The deeper self also does not like to be demanded of. If you are not healed, as Fred posited here then that is the cause. The deeper self has its needs that will not be known to you. In the end, the body heals quickly if the brain doesn't have cause to resist. The motivations for success or failure are rarely known, but hope and repeated trying are factors in any healing equation.