1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How to deal with Cold / Allergy TMS issues

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ajayddave, Apr 28, 2014.

1. ajayddave

ajayddave Peer Supporter

Hello everyone,

I got introduced to TMS and Dr. Sarno's work when I had a repetitive stress injury issue in college. I found it straightforward to apply his approach to my RSI problem and was cured within a few weeks.

Since then I have tried to cure myself of frequent colds / allergies but have not complete success. Through doing meditation, therapy, and other personal growth work starting about 6.5 years ago I have improved my symptoms quite a bit though. And truth be told, I think given the path I am on I will eventually develop close to complete success.

That being said I've had a recent setback (a whole month with cold/allergy symptoms). The good news is a few years ago it would have been normal for me..whereas now it feels very abnormal.

Anyway, how does one apply the same approach to cold / allergy symptoms as one would to physical pain. I find it hard not to think about cold / allergy symptoms because they could potentially effect my plans. A lot of people worry about catching a cold and often I can't tell if I have a cold or allergies (especially since the symptoms I'm talking about never involves a fever or needing significant bedrest..so I guess it's either frequent minor colds, allergies, or both). Also, some activities I just can't do (or are very awkward) when I have cold/allergy symptoms like dance, going on a date, or going to the dentist.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting about how we catch colds and get allergies.
    I used to get colds a lot when I worked in a job I hated with a big corporation.
    The boss said I had the worst health record.

I finally quit to do work I like and over the past 40 years can't remember having a cold.

I've read recently that our emotions cause our cells to make us sick or well.

Dr. Sarno says colds and allergies are all from TMS. I believe it.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Getting rid of colds the TMS way is the same as if you used it for pain.
    What is it that is bothering you emotionally that you haven't dealt with and faced then released.
    Are you staying in the happy zone and are you allowing fear or focus in on the cold?
    What do you want to do that you haven't done lately or ever done?
    What is bothering you that you haven't attended to yet?
    Have you been exercising with deep breathing?
    Do you meditate and relax at least twice a day?

We can start here.....

Thanks for the question

Anna1 likes this.
  4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I haven't got a cold in the last 1,5 year, before that I used to get them at least 2 times a year.... Only a soar/sore(?) throat twice as if one was starting. I think Herbie pretty much covers how to conquer it.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

What Herbie said! I used to get a lingering cold every spring. When I figured out it was "hay-fever" it went away. I don't know why it evaporated, maybe because I just thought about it differently. My GF, had life-long asthma, (turbulent childhood). Through TMS osmosis by hanging around me, her asthma has disappeared. Strangely, she does not seem to revel in this great healing breakthrough, and moves on to other minor symptom imperatives.

If you understand TMS theory on a cellular level you can understand how every "dis-ease" can have a TMS origin, including autoimmune issues such as colds and flues, (whatever the difference between the two may be which has always eluded me?).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Ellen and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  6. ajayddave

ajayddave Peer Supporter

Thanks for the replies. Being a newbie to the forum I did not understand how the forum worked with respect to e-mail notifications...so I only thought the first person had responded.

Herbie..I appreciate your questions. I won't answer each one individually (I wasn't sure if they were rhetorical questions) other then to say I've done a lot of inner work on myself and there is still more to do. I can definetely relate to needing to do certain things in my life that I've never done and it feels like I'm beginning to develop the capacity to do so (honestly I don't think I was ready a few years back).

I'm really seeing how I can apply the way I approached the allergy symptoms the same way I approached the RSI. One insight I've had recently is I have projected onto the outerworld the same type of responsiveness as my father..which was often harsh. So there has been a fear of sneezing in a public situation and getting that type of response (not necessarily fearing that on a conscious-level..for a while I think it's been unconscious and slowly has become more conscious to me).

I'm seeing a similar path for colds as well though I'm not quite as certain. Like if I get a cold I guess I can't really say if that specific cold is TMS-related. And it seems to make sense to rest and what not. It's only looking back at the frequency of my colds (and also the fact that they are never that severe) that I can ascertain it's TMS-related.

7. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there.

The fact that you embraced TMS healing and successfully overcame RSI is a huge advantage. Dr Sarno mentions colds and allergies in his book "The Mind Body Perscription", and while I cannot quote him as my book is on loan to a friend, I recall him saying TMS can weaken the immune system and leave it susceptible to colds and allergies. During a very stressful period of my life I came down with pneumonia and know that my stress levels being sky high set the stage for this. In Steve Ozanich's book "The Great Pain Deception" he talks about what happened after his father-in-law died suddenly. Here's what he wrote on page 55:

"Soon after Jack's death, I developed a cough that started slowly but quickly worsened - lasting seven months. I went to several local pulmonary physicians, but all their medication and advice accomplished nothing. It was actually making me worse. My cough worsened to where it became a severe barking cough and I couldn't sleep because it would wake me. I was losing weight - its persistence eating up my appetite, consuming me like a raging fire. All I could think about was the coughing! It would be another 13 years before I would find out that the cough was due to tension from repressed rage, and it was serving its purpose in me like my pain had been doing. It was Mini-Me talking to me, and in my not listening to the message, it kept me distracted from my own wrath"

I recommended Steve's book to a friend of mine at the gym who has also suffered from a chronic cough for over a year. He was in a job he absolutely hated, and would dread every day. He left his job, and took up another, went on a vacation bringing Steve's book with him, and while not completely over his cough (it's only been a couple of weeks), he feels he's on the mend, being receptive to TMS healing.

TMS in all its forms is there to tell us there's something not quite right in our lives. Start a daily journal and spill your tension out on the page, and this might uproot the cause of your tension. My father had been a great source of tension all my life until my TMS discovery and healing. Truckloads of compassion for my Da also accelerated my healing.

Ellen likes this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I almost never get a cold. I used to get them all the time when I worked in a job I liked but for a
    company and bosses that I hated. I should have quit after 3 minutes but waited 3 years.
    I quit the corporate rat race and became a freelance writer and can't remember when I had a cold last.
    I think the reason for that is, I became a happier person.

It may not be your job. It may be someone or some things in your life that are causing you to
    be unhappy or have anxiety. Try to discover them and make any possible adjustments and
    you won't have colds anymore. You'll feel great. You will like life and yourself more.