1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern U.S.(New York) Daylight Time. It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bruce is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern (now US Daylight Time).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

Alan G. How does TMS cause tightness?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by walllc643, Jan 30, 2015.

1. jen s

jen s New Member

Alan, that answer was SO interesting! The brain is causing the pain AND causing muscle tension to happen, which is how it feels so real, as there is real tension. One thing that you said authentic indifference -- I have SUCH a hard time with this. I can't seem to be curious or indifferent about the pain. I genuinely don't want the pain at all -- I hate it , which I guess from what you are saying is feeding the pain. How do you come to this indifference? That is the hard part for me! It's like saying to be indifferent to being kicked in the shin --- that will never happen, as I'll always prefer NOT to be kicked in the shin -- every time. I have struggled for years to be the "curious observer" as I really can't find indifference. Would telling myself "I don't like it (the pain) but I accept that it's here right now and know that it's TMS and will eventually be gone"? Is that effective? So hard to be indifferent.

2. thmakled

thmakled New Member

I too struggle with ignoring the pain and cultivating authentic indifference because damn it, sometimes it really hurts and I'm tired of hurting! The cognitive battle can be exhausting, and ignoring tends to feel the same as challenging - the pain is so present that trying to ignore it just makes me think about it more. Yeesh.

Cheryl likes this.
  3. Gojab

Gojab Peer Supporter

I just came across this thread and its likely no one is following it since its been so long. Nevertheless. I can add that 80% of my pain I think has been due to muscle tightness/spasm. Even before I read this thread in my mind I had reconciled that "mile oxygen deprivation" from TMS and muscle tightness were very close cousins. I could literally feel that some muscles, likely in my core, were not even there while some muscles in my back were working overtime. It even got to the point that my stomach was bulging out like crazy. I had no idea why.

I'm happy to report that I am 4 weeks out on my program, and my muscles have definitely relaxed. There is still some tightness but I am at a 1 pain level vs 7-9 that I have been for the past 2 years. My stomach is started to return back to normal.

BloodMoon likes this.
  4. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

Waaaa I also have this stomach bulging sometimes up so I can hardly breath. At least for the last months I do not panic about it anymore being prettyvsure its TMS!
    I am so looking into finding a therapist that can virtually help my twenty year back pain, I have so bad quality of life I am so looking forward getting better
    Very enouraging to read you, thank you