1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How does TMS affect people when they are really ill

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by heleng, Feb 4, 2016.

1. heleng

heleng Peer Supporter

Hi everyone

I am reaching out to the people I have met on this forum today as yesterday I found out I had thyroid cancer. The prognosis is good but I have one hell of a lot to go through to be well. I have had all sorts of issues with my back and hip and its been a gradual lessening of that pain to the point now where its been feeling so much better. And just when I felt I was truly well I get this news. I have no idea if TMS is going to flare up now and I really need it to keep away as I have so much to deal with. Do any of you out there have any advice about how to stop being deluged by TMS when you have a real illness? Currently my cancer is symptom free and I feel and look very healthy. I almost feel like a fake....

Many thanks

Helen

2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Heleng. I am so sorry for your news. I had breast cancer about 10 years ago and sometimes it feels like just yesterday. I have three different friends and family members who have had thyroid cancer and are just fine now so I am only going to think positive thoughts for you. I know when I had cancer it did help me tremendously to connect with others that had been through it. I gained strength and resolve from their stories. The stress and fear from this diagnosis could make things in the TMS world pop up, but on the other hand, your mind has plenty to focus on with getting through this challenge so hopefully you won't have any TMS pain making things harder on you. I know for a time my chronic pain stuff was much better post mastectomy and treatment because I felt I had faced my greatest fear and gotten through it. This was all before I was aware of TMS. I took the advice from all the women I spoke with who had been through treatment previously and I allowed my friends and family to support me and did not try to be superwoman. I know friends and family enjoy helping out because everyone close to you feels helpless and they truly do want to help you through it.

heleng and Lavender like this.
  3. heleng

heleng Peer Supporter

Hi Anne. Many thanks for your reply and sorry to hear you have had to deal with cancer but so pleased about your recovery.

Since the news I have had no time to think about my aches and pains and have been pain free. It's amazing. My mind has simply stopped doing that as it has such a big thing to deal with. I guess I do have concerns that at some point during or post treatment I will get a flare up of tms as my subconscious is going to be playing all sorts of tricks on me. Hopefully being aware will help me cope.

Thanks for your message

Helen x

Anne Walker likes this.
  4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Helen,

I'm sorry for the delay in responding, I must confess I looked at your post a few times and didn't know what to say. You've always been such a nice person to talk to and I've always enjoyed our exchange of posts, so I felt overwhelmed with saddeness when I discovered you are going through this.

All I can say is that I'm hugely sorry to hear such news and my thoughts are with you. Please be strong.

I'd like to bring a thread to your attention which has a wealth of information and may help you gain some insight:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/spontaneous-remissions-project.9452/

The thread provides a useful list which people have identified as common concepts which have aided recovery. I'm hoping this thread may hold insight that may be of some value to you.

Thanks for reaching out and my thoughts are with you.

God bless.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    heleng likes this.
  5. heleng

heleng Peer Supporter

Hi Mike. Thanks for your reply and your kind comments. I have a lot ahead of me but feel positive. Thanks for the link, I will check it out.
    I am glad you responded I knew my post would be difficult for people to engage with as it is upsetting but like you say, I needed to reach out and always found this forum a place of warmth and comfort.
    Keep in touch

Love

Helen

6. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Hi Helen,

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you have to go through this. Sending you well wishes for a full recovery and good health.

Many Blessings.

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016