1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How do you not give the pain attention?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Purist, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hi Purist. All great advise for how it helped some people but I can’t get over your last sentence that says your jealous for others. I had a big problem in the beginning thinking I wasn’t doing it right because my pain wouldn’t go away. Somehow on this site I read that I was judging my pain. Judging myself. I do that a lot. About everything. Well it wasn’t helpful. You have to let go of that. Be kind and love yourself. It’s not a race. Frankly, this experience is hard to forget in our lives. You will do it in your own way. You will figure out what works for you and in your own time and when you do it will resonate more because you came to the realization yourself.

Purist, BloodMoon, westb and 3 others like this.
  2. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

I love how you put it, Ines. I agree - we each deserve the time we need to recover. I can say for myself that had I recovered quicker, I would have missed out on challenges that forced me to grow and build new strategies. This is why some people say that TMS is a gift (I know other people will hate to hear that!).

As to the original post, my contribution is simple: use affirmations to focus yourself on your strength and what matters to you in life, do things that absorb your attention, and let the pain take the back seat. Reducing pain is not the point ; the point is to live your life happily and healthily, and in touch with yourself emotionally (whatever that means to you). If you do that, the pain fades, and even if it's slow, it's just not as important anymore.

Keep up the good work : )

Purist, BloodMoon and Sofa like this.
  3. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Oh geez. These last two posts are just marvelous!!

Purist and Free of Fear like this.