1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How do I know if it is TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Prokart, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Prokart

Prokart New Member

Hi all,

I have been experiencing carpal tunnel symptoms (pain, burning, tingling near the median nerve and fingers) for a few years now on and off in its intesity and was wondering if this could be a byproduct of TMS.

The reason that I am confused, is because my carpal tunnel first came along due to substantial use on my computer, doing a lot of gaming in an uncomfortable position for my wrist. I instinctively took rest, however, this was after I had been playing through pain for a bit so I thought the damage had already been done. I went to the doctor and he just suggested to rest it and ice it after doing a brief test to check, which I did along with stretching and strengthening techniques, which did alleviate some of the pain, and since then it has been on and off, depending on my workload

The fact that it has been on and off in intensity, depending on my workload makes me think that it could be TMS as some of the time I’m not affected/it is not on my mind but it is only certain actions which seems to aggravate the condition which brings back the same pain. I have read John Sarnos book on this subject, which allows me to understand his perspective on the matter, I’m just trying to figure out whether my case is indeed real or a byproduct of TMS like he states. Furthermore, I am also unsure what unconscious “rage” I may possess, which could be causing these symptoms.

Another reason I’m confused is that apart from it being in both of my wrists, the mouse hand being worse, I haven’t had any “moving” of the locations of my symptoms

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated, I am going to try some of the techniques that are suggested in his book, such as making lists etc in the meantime.

If you require any more information to make a more informed judgement, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you very much for the help.

Edit: I would like to add I have asthma that I think I have grown out of, and occasional eczema and hay fever but I’m not sure if these are linked as the book suggests they could

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

We can't diagnose you here, but since you've seen a doctor, the question you have to ask now is: what have you got to lose by trying a mindbody approach?

If the medical profession has not given you instructions to do something specific, then another question is: can you harm yourself by trying a mindbody approach?

We have two free programs to learn how to do this. The only cost is some time, and the only requirement is to keep an open mind, and to be willing to take emotional risks. There's no signup required, and it's done in private unless you want to share anonymously here.

The programs are:

Structured Educational Program (SEP) (on the main tmswiki.org site)

Alan Gordon's Recovery Program (here on the forum)

Both use the forum for people to voluntarily post as they work the programs. The SEP is usually a little easier to start out with.

Before checking those out, first read the Profile stories for @Enrique and @Forest, both of them serious computer users who recovered from RSI after applying TMS techniques. Forest went on to establish this wiki and forum, and Enrique is a long-time member and one of the hosts of the Saturday Chat.

Next, go to the Success Stories subforum, skim the titles, and start reading for even more inspiration. You will see many different stories, and many different ways that people have recovered from RSI and a multitude of other conditions.

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  3. Prokart

Prokart New Member

Thank you very much for the reply

I totally agree with the doctor situation, he seemed fairly vague about it and just said rest. Rest does help my condition but only up to a point where it plateaus which makes me think something like TMS could also be at play.

I will take a look at the programs now

Thanks again