1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Hopeful....I think

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Saguaro66, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Saguaro66

Saguaro66 Newcomer

So, I've started the 'Structured Educational Program'. I injured my back at the gym, doing squats, about 2 months ago. The back injury was rough, but not nearly as rough as the sciatica that ensued. When I first injured my back, my doctor just emailed me videos (I guess back pain's so damn common that he didn't even want to waste time on an office visit!). I did the exercises and the back pain per se went away within a week. But then the sciatica started. And got worse. This time I went to the doctor, who prescribed Prednisone. Didn't touch it. Then I went to a chiropractor - recommended by a coworker - who did some work on me, but recommended I get an x-ray to rule out anything serious. I stalled on this for some reason, and instead went to a bodyworker/massage therapist who friends described as a 'miracle worker'. I felt a little relief after the first session, but by the end of the day I was right back where I was, and getting worse. I went again the following week, and this time his treatment barely touched it.

I decided to go for the X-ray. After a couple days I got my results - normal. No herniation, no spondylosis or whatever it's called. During this time I started to read Dr. Sarno's 'The Mindbody Prescription' that my coworker (the same one who recommended the chiropractor) had loaned me. She had had a serious back injury and had fully recovered, giving credit to the treatment described in the book. Much of the description of the typical TMS profile sounded like me - not all, but enough to make it plausible. I read it and re-read parts, and decided I needed to try this. Not only because I want relief, but because I do think my body and mind are trying to tell me something that I'm not listening to.

Still, I have a sliver of skepticism, mainly because my partner has suggested I go back to the chiropractor. But this is just because it's upsetting for him to see me barely able to stand at times, or crawling around on the floor trying to find relief. I, too, wish I could show up at a doctor or chiropractor's office, spend $100, and walk out the door all fixed up. But I have this feeling that that's just not the answer. I've played around with talking sternly to my mind, telling it to stop hurting me, even to turn up the blood flow to my lower back. Sometimes, not always, it's worked a bit. And that gives me hope.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Saguaro. Welcome to the TMS Wiki and the TMS healing community. You've finally found the right place for getting rid of your pain.

We've all been down the same route... doctor's visits, pain killers, chiro, MRI, Xrays and nothing cures the back or other pain. It's because you think it came on from gym exercise, but since you've learned there is nothing wrong with your back, the pain is from TMS emotions. The SEProgram will help you to discover what those are.

You may still not believe totally that your pain is psychological, so you have to increase that to 100 percent.

Be patient and follow the daily thoughts in the SEP. You are going to heal. I did, from severe back pain, and so have thousands and more of others.

Be sure to practice deep breathing. It can be profoundly calming. There are posts in the subforums on how to do that, or you can watch free videos on Youtube about it.

Saguaro66 likes this.
  3. Saguaro66

Saguaro66 Newcomer

Dear Walt - thanks so much for reaching out. I feel really good just taking on the Structured Educational Program. And your sharing specific ideas and advice really helps, like practicing deep breathing (funny, that has started to happen just intuitively!) and that increasing my understanding to 100% that this pain is being caused by my pscyche - very helpful. I'm on day 2, and I'm proud of myself for taking the step.

I had a yoga teacher once - unlike any other yoga teacher I'd had or have had. He was more about the mind than the physical practice of yoga. Several times during class he would say '...and you're feeling very good about yourself...'. This stuck with me. And despite the pain, I'm feeling that way now.

MWsunin12 likes this.