1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Holy cow...this is actually working!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by KJFliving, Dec 28, 2016.

1. KJFliving

KJFliving New Member

Although this is only Day 8 of the structured program, I'm actually 8 weeks into TMS recovery (I started with Healing Back Pain -Sarno) and doing extremely well. My @1 starting goal was to be pain free and healthy enough to play drums again...something I do professionally as a vital part of my annual income. Bottom line... I just played drums for 90 minutes yesterday. Not 'pain free', but getting really close. But the key thing is that playing DOESN'T 'MAKE ME ANY WORSE. And I can work again. That alone does wonders for the my general disposition and outlook on life. I've moved beyond hope... after 4 years of suffering, I am finally kicking this thing's ass.

There's something important I want to say to folks who are just starting with the program. Like me, you probably read a lot of testimonials about people who read a book and were almost instantly cured. I know people personally who had that experience. So naturally, when I got to the end of my first THREE books, I was disappointed that I wasn't feeling any better. But since I had tried everything else, I figured I had nothing to lose by sticking with it. And boy, am I glad I did! I guess some of us just take longer than others for the myriad reasons described in Sarno's books.

It really took about 6 weeks before I noticed any physically improvement, but then things really started happening....over the most recent two weeks the recovery started going really quickly. I feel like my unconscious is really accepting the diagnosis and beginning the process of rewiring the way I process life events...past, present, and future.

In the past, I might have just stopped with the treatments now that I am feeling so much better. But not this time. I am going to stick with this structured program all the way till the end of it. It's helping...I know it is, and I want to do everything I can to make this a lasting cure.

I sure hope its helping you too!

Liz_NL, Wolf24, Ellen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Great to hear your positive news its what I need my back is in a bad way due to it not likening this new way of thinking so cheers!!

KJFliving likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a huge breakthrough, obviously. This means you've broken the conditioning. Wonderful!!

There is also the instruction to "read Dr. Sarno" or do other basic practices such as contemplate the 12 daily reminders for the long term, on a daily basis. As a sort of vitamin.

KJFliving likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Congrats on your success so far, KFJliving - and you've got the right outlook for continued success!

I agree with Andy - finding the tools that really work for you on a day-to-day basis is the key. Make these techniques part of your daily life, until it's natural to think psychologically instead of physically. When you reach that point, you will find freedom. And you may also find yourself amazed that so many people around you continue to assume that there's an outside cause for everything that their bodies experience.

5. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

That is awesome to hear! I'm a couple weeks into reading Sarno and just starting the SEP (on day 6). I'm already noticing some improvement myself, have been able to walk a much longer distance, sleep more soundly and do some yoga postures i hadn't done for months without pain. Like you i'm not yet pain free (and don't expect to be)...some days have been better than others. But none of these activities make me any worse, which is a great way of putting it. I'm learning to identify random TMS pain that comes up and then journal about it to uncover the psychological factors at play. I'm trying to be patient and plan to stick with these strategies and see where I end up!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

To have this experience, and be conscious of this has powerful effects to unwind the "fear" issue with TMS.

MindBodyPT likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, KJFliving. I'd like to add my congrats to the others. You were patient and stuck with what it takes to heal from TMS pain. Your perseverance can be an inspiration to others.
    I can picture you playing drums at some New Year's gigs and loving it.