1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hi again

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Toby2015, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Toby2015

Toby2015 Peer Supporter

Hi all.
    In 2015 with the knowledge of TMS and this amazing site. I managed to rid of myself of back pain and although not gone entirely, it helped me to relieve other symtoms associated with TMS.
    Unfortunately around 6 montgs ago i developed sleep problems. I was prescribed sleeping pills which made it worse. As i have had success with hypnotherapy in the past, i consulted a therapist recommended by my brother. This really helped with the sleeping problem but i suddenly developed severe pain, weakness abd stiffness in my hands, arms and knees. I had to go to the GP who immediately referred me to a Rheumatologist. Blood tests have come back normal and x-ray too. I am now waiting on a ct scan. The problem is when i saw the rheumy, my symtoms had died down and there was nothing to see. Then they flared up again. I'm struggling to do day to day things and only working because im on strong pain killers and self employed!
    My finger nails are now Sore and look suspiciously like psoriasis, which i have on my head already. Im a nail tech so probably know more than the GP about nails.
    I'm currently waiting on the Rheumy calling me back so i can discuss my problems abd see if i can push them to take me more seriously but in the meantime it occurred to me that my symtoms might be TMS.
    Could anyone advise me on whether this could be the case?
    I do have physical symtoms such as slight swelling, redness of some joints and stiffness in the morning especially.
    I'm so scared as I'm only 39 and my career is my life. I don't want to give it up.

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Toby, coincidentally I was just taking caring of my finger nails.
    So certain symptoms went down only to be replaced by other symptoms; this is a common thing in TMS. Symptoms die down right before you walk into the doctor's office; again very common in TMS. Swelling, redness, stiffness are also common in TMS.
    What I am trying to say: I estimate the chance that what you are currently experiencing is TMS as high. See your doctor to rule out a more serious condition and then work on it using the TMS approach. Maybe even suggest it to your doctor that it may be stress related and see if he nods his head.
    Maybe it helps if you read the new program by Alan Gordon (link on the top of this page), just to refresh your knowledge and maybe pick up on a couple of ideas on how to approach your problems.
    Hope this helps, take care!

Toby2015 likes this.
  3. Toby2015

Toby2015 Peer Supporter

Hi Gigalos
    That makes me feel hopeful for a positive outcome. I was not aware that physical symtoms that can be seen can also manifest in TMS.
    I have a scan next week so that should tell me for sure. I'll start the program again anyway as I'm sure it'll can only help.
    Many thanks for replying.

4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Cheers, Toby