1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Herniated Disc, Vertigo and Dizziness Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mutombo, Mar 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, this could be a conditioned response-you wake up in fetal position or someone tells you that you were in that position and the dizziness hits. You don't have to be feeling acute stress to get TMS...remember it's caused by repressed emotions.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

This

3. mutombo

mutombo New Member

Guys, I have still problems due to I can't accept TMS diagnosis. I have some doubts. By the way searching on web, I found a person that says "she was misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia, actually her problem was spinal stenosis along with herniated discs and when she had surgeon, her problems had completely disappeared"

from her post;

"I immediately felt like a new person as soon as I woke up from the surgery. The brain fog was gone and I couldn't believe how clear my head was. No more ringing in the ears or vertigo. The biggest thing was no more pain, anywhere."

http://forums.prohealth.com/forums/index.php?threads/not-fibro-but-cervical-radiculopathy.111223/ (Not Fibro, but Cervical Radiculopathy | ProHealth Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS and Lyme Disease Forums)

What do you think about it? If the problem was TMS, how could she be well with surgeons, do you think it's because of placebo effect. But many says, surgeon benefits. Can all of them be placebo effect?

I'm so confused and wonder your comments.

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Read your Sarno and ALL your questions and doubts will be answered. He states that SURGERY IS THE BEST PLACEBO!--plus, all those pain killers they load you up with before and after help too. Research failed back, knee surgery, etc. before you make the decision to get cut. According to recent studies, back and knee surgeries aren't all that effective.

So, when should you get cut? Generally for traumatic injuries like car or industrial accidents that put you into the ER--emergency medicine is truly a God-send of our era. Most chronic pain is TMS. Read your Sarno and your doubts will be answered. About 80% of chronic pain is TMS--the hard thing is finding an objective DX, that takes the emotional dynamics of pain into account. There's a list of TMS physicians at this site--see one.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    mutombo and MindBodyPT like this.
  5. mutombo

mutombo New Member

Guys, I try Sarno method for a long time. But, I still have same symptoms. Sometimes pain comes, sometimes pain goes but when the pain comes also there is a brain fog and dizziness.

When I research, I found something:

https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/71134 (Ultrasonographic Detection of Extracranial Vertebral Artery Compression in Bow Hunter’s Brain Ischemia Caused by Neck Rotation)

"For 2 years, a now 54-year-old healthy woman became unconscious on numerous occasions when she turned her head to the right. The symptoms were evoked when she rotated her head more than 60°, and they also disappeared immediately after she returned her head to a neutral position. Doppler ultrasonography, which observed the V2 segment of the vertebral artery, revealed the blood flow in the left vertebral artery to be dominant and abruptly changed to decreased flow without a diastolic component on head rotation to the right (fig. 1). The blood flow in the right vertebral artery remained unchanged irrespective of head rotation, although its flow pattern suggested occlusion after branching of the posterior inferior cerebellar artery (PICA). The color flow as well as the power Doppler imaging findings revealed an abrupt disappearance of flow signaling in the left vertebral artery on head rotation (fig. 1). Angiograms showed the left vertebral artery to be normal when the head was in a neutral position (fig. 2). On head rotation to the right, however, the artery was compressed and occluded at the atlantoaxial level. In this position, the patient complained of a tendency to fall into a state of unconsciousness. She underwent C1-C2 posterior fixation with anterolateral decompression and thereafter had no symptoms."

What are you thinking about that?

6. MindBodyPT

Remember that not everything is TMS. Yes this is an unusual but real scenario that can occur. If those are the symptoms a person is having, I would urge them to seek medical care. I assure you this is extremely uncommon.

I’m sorry you’ve been struggling, let us know if we can help in any way.

7. mutombo

mutombo New Member

I have 80 degree Scheuermann's Kyphosis, mild scoliosis and some herniated discs with pinched nerve (MRI said that). My symptoms suddenly started, a vertigo that wake me up from sleep. The diagnosis is "cervical herniated disc".

My symptoms,

-Neck and shoulder pain
    -Dizziness
    -Fingler numbness
    -Ear fullness
    -Brain fog

All the symptoms are in my left side. But there are sometimes all symptoms, sometimes none.

When the pain comes, also the dizziness make me so miserable. Doctor said that, herniated discs won't do this but I am not sure.

Do you think it's all TMS? Pain sometimes comes and sometimes goes, so could it be TMS?

How will I know it's TMS, or not?

8. MindBodyPT

If you've had the proper imaging, your doctor would have ruled out something highly unusual such as the case study you mentioned above. Yes, it sounds like your case is TMS. Your doctor is right, herniated discs are benign (it is obvious in the rare scenario when they are not) and don't cause those symptoms. You have great evidence that your case is TMS. Know that TMS-caused symptoms can be so much worse than physical ailments...I think it was Sarno who said that TMS can be the most painful thing of all. Dizziness is a common TMS symptom as well, and I know how miserable it can make people. I'm sorry you've been suffering with this!

9. mutombo

mutombo New Member

Thank you so much. At the same time, ear fullness, dizziness and pain made me thought about the blood flow. TMS is about low blood flow already. Is the mind can narrow arteries, due to TMS, the answer is yes I think. I always think this; if there is a structural problem pain must always be there I think, am I right?

10. MindBodyPT

Dr. Sarno's theory was that TMS was in part due to mild oxygen deprivation, which is not the same thing as narrowed arteries or severe lack of blood flow. TMS would not cause arteries to narrow such as in the unusual case study above. Sarno's oxygen deprivation theory has not been proven, although there may be some truth to it, the theory of neural pathways holds up much better and explains the myriad of symptoms other than just pain that TMS can be.

If there is a structural issue, symptoms should be consistent. Think about someone healing after a surgery- they will have consistent pain in the area until it heals. I think you have good evidence for your case at this point :)

BloodMoon likes this.
  11. mutombo

mutombo New Member

MindbodyPT thank you for your reply. But I found something about consistent and intermittent pain.

https://www.jospt.org/doi/pdf/10.2519/jospt.2005.35.10.645

"During the subjective evaluation the patient identified the following 4 complaints: (1) intermittent vertigo lasting approximately 1 minute when turning the head to the right, (2) visual changes, described as ‘‘black spots’’ and ‘‘distortion’’ in her right eye, which could last up to a half hour and were reportedly becoming more frequent, (3) occasional right frontal-occipital area headaches, and (4) intermittent right shoulder area pain."

In TMS and in our other talks we said that if there is an intermittent pain it is definitely TMS, cause structural and physical problems and injuries cause consistent pain. But in this case, person doesn't have TMS but, she complains about interminttent pain and vertigo.

So, how can we explain this?

12. MindBodyPT

This person had intermittent pain due to the position of her neck. These things are not black and white, where constant pain always equals structural and intermittent always equals
    Tms. Her vertigo was also specific to her head position. Many TMS cases do result in constant pain, I can attest to that from my own experience.

Please stop worrying about this unusual case study. If you’re not a health professional it can be hard to decipher the nuances and creates
    More anxiety.

I think you are searching for reasons that your case is special and isn’t TMS...look within yourself to figure out what your barriers to TMS healing are at this point and don’t do any more google searches!

Tennis Tom and starseed like this.
  13. mutombo

mutombo New Member

OK. Maybe you're right:) I didn't have any ultrasound or angiography related to my neck and while I searching, if I see some evidence "bla bla is not seen in MRI, but actually in ultrasound etc." I become septic again. As I said before my biggest problems are shoulder/neck pain and vertigo. It depends with my neck position too, I tried TMS approach but not so much helped I think. Maybe I must give one more chance.

Thanks for your kind responses. I know I am not a easy person, thanks again :)

14. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I think that doing the mind/body TMS approach is good for us even if we haven't fully accepted that our symptoms are caused by TMS as we can discover things about ourselves that might make us really believe/realise that what is afflicting us is TMS caused by the brain...However, that said, you'll have far more chance of success this time round if you are able to fully accept that what you are suffering is TMS or if you can at least take a leap of faith and be able to 'suspend your disbelief' when you start doing the TMS work again. I think it boils down to deciding when you've reached the point where you can throw yourself into mind/body work and keep going with it, despite possibly not seeing any positive results for a while at first. (Not that everyone takes a long time to recover, but I for one am only just starting to see some positive improvements after many months of doing TMS techniques/work - but it now feels all so worth while to have been very persistent with it.)

Wishing you good luck - and sending all good wishes.
    BloodMoon.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    suky, mutombo and starseed like this.
  15. mutombo

mutombo New Member

Thank you so much BloodMoon. I hope we will get well soon...

BloodMoon likes this.
  16. cdub

cdub Peer Supporter

I have the same diagnosis. Positive tinel sign and some tingling. Elbow pain and ulnar nerve issues as well as median nerve. Good times.

Can you let us know more about your diagnosis and how you got through it?

17. mutombo

mutombo New Member

Guys, I wanted to inform you about my last situation and diagnosis.

My problems didn't go away. Finally one doctor wanted carotid and vertebral ultrasound. According to ultrasound report I have "low-grade vertebrobacillar insufficiency" My artery blood flow is 165 ml/min.

The normal value of that is more than 200.

Does anyone have that? Do you think that is TMS too?