1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed... Extinction Bursts/Drags/ WTF?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Michael Reinvented, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Michael Reinvented

Michael Reinvented Peer Supporter

I grabbed onto the optimistic (desperate?) possibility of a turning point provided by the so called "Extinction Burst", 3 weeks ago. This was after gradually increasing daily standing/walking during the preceding 6 or so weeks. Well the burst has turned into something much more akin to a drag, as I ride a wave of increased symptoms, and a return to my old insomnia pattern, which is pass out for 3-4 hrs, then try every meditation I can recall to perhaps get another 30 mins sleep before it's time to get going again.​
    These past few days has been a bizarre mix of upbeat psychological strength and resolve combined with daily emotional outpourings as the symptoms and lack of sleep overwhelm. It has occurred to me with great clarity that Doc Sarno's "T" word is the variable in my healing. Reduce the Tension (including the tension induced by "fighting" for a break), and reduce the pain. It's so hard in the meantime. Anyone out there been down a similar path?​

creekerchick likes this.
  2. crimslock

crimslock Peer Supporter

Hang in there digger... that's bloody awefull what your going through mate..hoping your sleep improves..nothing i can say to help mate but tell the bloody bastard to bugger off!!!! not sure if that's good or not, but now i get angry at my pain and tell it to rack off..not one for all this hippy crap, joy joy, meditation stuff..guess just an old school aussie bloke who like eating pies, watching the footy, hitting the turps with the boys and surfing...take care mate and hit the surf tomorrow, good weather for it ay!! snowing in Adelaide..

Abbo likes this.
  3. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

Hang in there Michael - I am in week two of the program and had an extintsion burst yesterday. And of course my unconsious did exactly what it wanted to do and bring me back to fear. I also developed sciatica (can't spell that), which I never had and today the pain have moved to my left glut.

I think my unconsious saw that I was getting back to my life. I refuse to be unhappy or not to think positive. I am ignoring the pain as it moves around which should take away some of it's power. If not all of it.

Also sleep is so important. I don't see insomnia listed as a TMS related symptom. I know one needs sleep to heal. Exercise should help, but I know it's painful.

4. Lala

Lala Well known member

michael, have you read about Alan Gordon's Outcome Indepence on this site?

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/a-word-about-outcome-independence.562/

I really found that it helped me when going through tough (extinction bursts) like you are. Certainly the lack of sleep makes matters worse. I know this having just finally gotten over my son's rotten sleeping patterns for the first 2 years of life. Sleep deprivation alone can literally drive you insane. Combine that with physical pain and boom, recipe for a TMS smack down.

Here's the thing. It sounds like you are stuck. As as result you are feeding the negative cycle of fear, worry, pain, fear, worry, no sleep, more pain, fear, worry etc. I have been where you are (and wouldn't be surprised if I am again)...so I know what I am about to say is so much easier said than done, but it is when you are in the shits (right smack in the middle of that hideous cycle) that you need to fight the hardest. Have you read Enrique's (I'm a TMSer triathlete) posts?

http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/im-a-tmser-triathlete.262/

This part of his post really inspired me, especially when I was going through a really intense (seemingly never-ending extinction burst and downward spiral)

"I think it's important to make a distinction because it's the difference between being stuck in pain and getting un-stuck. Ignoring the pain doesn't help. (Disclaimer: What follows is pretty much what I have learned from Monte Hueftle's "Master Practice") Pain ought to be viewed as a SIGNAL. A signal to think psychological. What does this mean? It means to accept the pain as a signal to become aware of thoughts, feelings, or typical TMS personality traits that are being exhibited in the present moment. For me personally I have found that I am able to overcome pain when I am able to become aware of my thinking patterns that are generating the inner tension and repressing emotional energy. When I get the signal, I stop thinking of the pain, distract myself from it, and I redirect my mind to start probing my thoughts looking for a thought that is negative (worry, fear, striving, controlling, etc) and then I redirect my mind to a more positive thought or series of thoughts. I carry a written mantra that I read sometimes If I can't think of something. Or I might recognize that I'm exhibiting a certain personality trait such as people-pleasing or being overly self-conscious. I become aware of it and I redirect my thinking to something more open. For example, if I notice that I'm worried about what other people will think of me, I change my thoughts and say "I don't care what others think of me. I'm just going to be the very best person that I can be and do the very best job that I can do. That's within my control. I can't control what other people think. Let them think what they want to think." This is "active" whereas ignoring the pain is passive and keeps you stuck in that inner-tension generating mode which created the pain in the first place and keeps it around.

If I have pain all the time, the I'm pulling out that "mantra" card all the time. If' I'm walking the the street pain free and suddenly I feel some pain in my Achilles tendon (like happened today) I pull out my card and read it and then move on. My card says something very simple on it: "Thank you for signaling me and making me aware of my thoughts and feelings. I know what you're trying to do. I don't think that way any more. I don't need you any more." This might sound incredible simplistic, but it's sending a very powerful message to your subconscious."

I hope this helps. Sorry if you have read some of the above before...let us know how you are doing.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  5. Michael Reinvented

Michael Reinvented Peer Supporter

Thanks TMS friends,

I feel relieved just to know that others are able to relate.

Crimslock - I will find some time this weekend to get very close to nature. I am no barrel boy, but love the bush.

Explorer - Your mantra to REFUSE to be unhappy really resonates. :)

Lala - "Foot Kindrid Spirit" : I have read Allan and Enriques insights, but sometimes we have to re-read to drill it in... these old tension patterns are so ingrained, and take some unlearning. If there is one thing that is becoming more and more obvious to me it's the direct correlation between moment to moment self talk, and tension. The T word is ALL PAIN.

Lala likes this.
  6. Lala

Lala Well known member

yes Michael (foot buddy)...we all need to be reminded (often)...that is why I love this forum..you all keep me on the right track

7. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

Michael - yes, until I got TMS I never really knew what happiness was. Took so much for granite.

This is a journey and a blessing.

8. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

crimslock, thank you a million times for the huge laugh you gave me re your reply to Michael on 'extinction burst' (2012) I just loved it and yes I have worked alongside Australians during time I spent in New Zealand and I really loved their sense of humour. It did me the world of good today just when I needed it. Hope you are doing well now. Best wishes.

9. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

10. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Hi Forest, I don't know if this message was meant for me because today it is actually my birthday! If it is then thank you all very much for your kind wishes. I just love this forum and when I read how despite their pain members still find humour to which I have a real good laugh or even smile about. I really don't know how I would have coped without it I feel as if I belong to a very special club. Thank you for all the help and advice you have given me over the past months, I am still battling along (no I shouldn't say that should I, I must remember not to fight I just accept it!) best wishes, Averil