1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Day 16 of the wikiprogram and excruciating pain!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Jesse MacKinnon, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Jesse MacKinnon

Jesse MacKinnon Peer Supporter

I decided to post a new thread on this because what's happening to me is so extreme. I'm on day 16 of the structured program. Really trying to dig deep. Last night was some of the most intense pain I've ever felt. Now I did work out on the eliptical with arms for an hour and that has exacerbated the mid back episodes in the past. But i wanted to challenge it with disastrous results. I want to hear from anyone of course but especially anyone who has experienced pain getting worse from the subconscious work before it gets better. Thank You in Advance, Jesse

2. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Jesse:

I feel your pain! I mean that sounds lame, but I really do. You've started the process and I think you need to just keep on moving through it. I think your current stress is just as important as past stress. Write about your situation with your jobs. You aren't alone there.

And maybe take it a bit easy on the exercise until you feel better. Maybe walk? Or swim? Something a little less intense that the elliptical. That is almost asking for more pain until you figure out what has started all this.I'm not saying you won't be able to - I'm saying, while you work through the journal part, perhaps swimming would be better.

I take pain medication too. And I notice on days of more stress, the pills don't last as long. I also have anxiety which you mentioned on the other thread you have too. I'd say slow down a bit. Swimming is awesome and a good way to stay in shape while you're working through this. I've had nights like you described. Heating pad? Music? All these have worked to help lull me back to sleep.

Hope tonight is better. With all the exercise, are you staring to create more fear with more pain? Just curious.

BG

3. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Hi Jesse,

I wasn't one of the ones who experienced worsening pain before I got better so I can't help there. But, I was poking around the wiki a little and found this interesting page which shows the results of a survey that Georgie Oldfield, Chartered Physiotherapist, put together of people who had recovered using the mindbody approach. I thought perhaps it might be helpful to get indirect feedback from others who have recovered. Click the link below.

Survey Results LINK

Stay positive and believe that you can get better. To quote one of the survey respondents "believe that it can get better...even if you can only believe that it's possible...even if you can only believe it's a little bit possible for some other people...then try and work up from there."

4. Jesse MacKinnon

Jesse MacKinnon Peer Supporter

wow that survey is amazing! Thanx Enrique and beach girl you guys always seem to be there for people. Bless you, Jesse

5. srton

srton Well known member

Yes it's happening to me!
    Fight on don't give up!
    2 years ago I beat neck and shoulder pain - kicked its ass with this SEP! Gone gone gone.
    Now I'm back with sciatica and this go around I've been crippled then better then worse and it's all a process. It will get better. Self love is key. Letting go to your feelings.
    Don't give up it will get better for you me and all of us!

Lily Rose, Celayne and Enrique like this.
  6. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

I am in the midst of pain that is not letting go, although it is better than it was two, three, four days ago. So I am improving. It's normal, if not usual. It sucks while it's happening but I keep reminding myself this is all a journey, a process and not an activity you can complete in a short while.

Lily Rose likes this.
  7. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

This, and more. Sometimes Self-Love is not easy, but practicing Self-Compassion can be more doable.

The one aspect of this program that I have never endorsed is pushing through the pain. For me, even thinking it is a trigger. If I know I can proceed at my own pace and stop any time there is pain, the pain diminishes.

By myself, over a period of two weeks, I filled 3 bays of an equipment barn with a mountain of split wood. The pile is taller than I am (and I'm tall!). I drove to my Uncle's, loaded the wood very early so no one was around. I then drove the 20 minutes back to my Mom's mountain top, backed into position, and flung the wood into the giant pile. I made one trip a day. And I felt great! My excruciating lower back pain and SI pain simply went away. Now I am working on our own wood supply for the winter. My husband leaves me alone so I can do it freely in my own emotional security.

However, the moment there is anyone else around while I am doing something strenuous, the pain flares. And it will almost always flare if I have decided I'm going to get something done, no matter what. In these cases, I was my own enemy.

I know why this happens, but at the moment, I am just basking in the awareness that my body can do this, and feel good.

For some people, pushing through pain may work. For others, it may not.

I am pharmaceutical-free, and I never push into the pain. Instead, I pause to explore why it is happening, and then if it persists, I will stop. In teaching my body that I will not force it, it has learned ... a feeling of safety. I ceased to be my own enemy. And that has reduced the pain.

Each person will find their own path.
    Explore. Evaluate. Revise as necessary ;)

..... with Love and Gratitude ^_^

Sciatic Sally, Ellen and mnjeaner29 like this.
  8. Sciatic Sally

Sciatic Sally New Member

Thank you for this, it really makes sense to me. I spring cleaned my children's bedrooms with no pain and then went for a walk and was in sheer agony again. No one could see me spring cleaning but I was 'on show' when going for the walk. I am struggling to bend and lift and it hurts so bad when I even attempt to push through the pain threshold but to simply stop and think about the emotions rather than the pain, seems so sensible. I have been so unkind to myself for so long and your words about ceasing to be your own enemy resonate with me.
    Good luck with the rest of your winter wood store!

Lily Rose likes this.