1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

hello

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by winterhaven123, Jul 20, 2014.

1. winterhaven123

winterhaven123 Peer Supporter

Hi I am new to this forum My name is Judy & I Have been in dibilitating Pain for 4 years. It all started in my upper abdominal & spread throughout My whole ribcage & upper backI cant stand on my feet without Medication. The only relief I have is lying down My pain level is 0 lying & 10 standing or sitting. I have been through every test known to man kind & nothing shows. I was told I have Somatoform disorder if anyone out there has had or heard of this please let Me know. I need all the support I can get. I hear alot about the low back but not the ribcage upper back & upper abdominal

2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Judy! Welcome to the forum! You will find lots and lots of helpful information here. Please know that EVERYONE'S TMS looks a little different so don't be distracted by the fact that you may not hear of the exact symptoms you're experiencing.

A good place to start is Dr. Sarno's books. I especially liked "Mind Body Prescription". Steve Ozanich's book, "The Great Pain Deception" is mindblowing…first because of his own compelling story…and second because of the research and information he's collected.

If that's too overwhelming, you can look up my account and look for a couple of posts that I just posted today. One is entitled, "My journey with chronic pain" and then the other post on my recent visit with Dr. Howard Schubiner.

Be encouraged. You CAN heal!

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

That's great advice, Northstar. Everyone's TMS is different and as long as you've been properly diagnosed, the differences don't seem to matter.

Somatoform disorder is just another word for what we would call TMS. It basically just means, "has physical symptoms that medicine can't adequately explain but that cause suffering and have lasted a while but aren't better explained by another diagnosis." The specific criteria can be found in a book known as the DSM-IV, and they are very vague. (I paraphrased the criteria for "undifferentiated somatoform disorder," but there are also other diagnoses in the somatoform category. Unfortunately, the entire category was removed from the new version of the book and replaced with another version that isn't nearly as helpful.)

Anne Walker likes this.
  4. winterhaven123

5. winterhaven123

Hi Thanks for your reply.I cant figure this forum out I cant figure out how to reply or find my post

6. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Winterhaven123, just give yourself time snooping around here. I know it can be overwhelming learning new computer/website stuff…especially when you're in chronic pain. You've already figured out how to register and post so you are well on your way! :)

7. winterhaven123

ok thanks. I am slow but might be able to figure it out.

North Star likes this.
  8. MatthewNJ

MatthewNJ Well known member

Hi Judy, We met on the chat on Saturday. You have already made great strides! You have arrived here. You experienced the chat, you got passed the log in issues. These are all positive things! Pat your self on the back and praise your self for those accomplishments! Slow is GOOD. I learned that from John Kabat Zin in his meditation book "Wherever you go there you are". The act of slowing down, gives us an opportunity to choose how we respond. this allows us to and have less fight or flight energy flying around inside of us just making us more tense. ENJOY slow.
    Here is more of why you are doing well and ahead of the pack
    -1- you need to recognize something in your life is not working for you. You have DONE this
    -2- you have to make a choice to change it. You have DONE this by coming here
    -3-you have to do it for the rest of your life - this is your next challenge
    That said, most people in the world have not reached step 1. they are still getting surgery and taking tons of pills* and only treating the symptoms
    YOU on the other had have already succeeded in the first two steps above.

*I am not against taking medication. I was in so much pain when I relapsed in 2008, I had to take narcotics, so I could do my work with my counselor. The medication was for the symptom, the work with my counselor was to get to the real cause. It is when we take the medication and do not try to find the true cause is when medication is not helpful.

Stick with us, we will help guide you.

9. winterhaven123

Thanks for your help. I still haven't heard anyone with this pattern of pain. Just hearing from people help's Thanks

10. MatthewNJ

Judy,

I understand you are suffering a great deal. I have been there done that, as so many of us have. That said, I want to reiterate what NorthStar said "Please know that EVERYONE'S TMS looks a little different so don't be distracted by the fact that you may not hear of the exact symptoms you're experiencing. "

that said, be proactive! I suggest you look at the Structured Education Program on this site, and try doing it.

11. winterhaven123

Where would I find The Structured Program?

12. MatthewNJ

go to the main page of the TMSwiki.org. look in the left column. click on Structured Education Program

13. winterhaven123

Ok thanks I will look for it.

14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Winterhaven. Matthew is giving you great advice. It's how we help each other.
    You're finding your way around the forums fine. Do start the SEProgram. It is one of
    the best ways to learn how to heal. Any questions, just ask. We're all here for you.

15. winterhaven123

Hi Thanks I do See where is is taking Me but cant figure out how I do the Program

16. jlm

jlm Peer Supporter

Hello, from one Judy to another. You just described my pain exactly, but mine is the more typical lower back and neck. You've come to the right place. There is so much help available here. I only have Dr Sarno's Healing Back Pain and Dr Schubiner's book at this time.

Here is a link to the SEP program. http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Educational_Program_Day_1 The days are listed halfway down the home page. You'll want to start with day 0. All you need is a pencil and paper (I use a notebook) and the willingness to listen to your body when it tells you what to write about. Your stressors can be past or current.

Come back here as often as you like. Someone will be available to help you.

17. winterhaven123

Hi Judy thanks for contacting Me. Is your pain so severe you cant stand on your feet? & your entire body is on fire? Do you take Gabapentin? Are you in severe depression along with the pain?

18. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Welcome Judy!!

I think there is a very good chance that you have come to the right place and will get better working a TMS recovery program.

I understand that you are concerned that your abdominal pain is different than back pain or some of the other conditions you've seen here or in Dr. Sarno's books. That is natural and I would feel the same way. It helps to see someone who has a problem similar to yours and got better.

All I can say is, I have seen and had some very strange symptoms over the years that have all been TMS. The most important thing is that you become convinced that your current symptoms are TMS. Once you've made up your mind, you can get better better!!

Best of luck to you, Judy! We'll be around if you want to ask more questions.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  19. winterhaven123

Hi thanks for reading my post. I do believe this is TMS when I am on Medication when I get up in the Morning & stand on my feet after 15 to 20 minutes the pain brings Me to the floor & this is when My mind gets confused & think nothing could be this painful the severe burning takes over My entire body, I would like to hear from someone that has heard of this & appreciate everyone who contacts Me Thank You!!

20. jlm

jlm Peer Supporter

Judy, My pain is pretty much under control. I have a band of pain across my lower back that I can tell to leave - I know where it's coming from. In the past, before I discovered Dr Sarno and TMS and started my journey to healing, I had the pain you are describing, but only from just below the waist down. I had been diagnosed years ago with fibromyalgia and then in 2010 with neurothapy. I was on Lyrica, which is similar in some ways to Gabapentin. I gave it up after reading one of Dr Sarno's books and don't plan on going back to it. No, I do not have severe depression - mild at some times, but I think it's just a side effect of being alone after having many children and, of course, a husband - once upon a time. The kind of pain your are in has to be depressing. Are you able to work? Do you get out and enjoy the sunshine when it's available?

Did you find the SEP and do Day 0 and day 1? I am only through Day 9, but I do a lot of writing on my own as things come up that need to be dealt with. Have you read any of Dr Sarno's, Dr Hanscom's or Dr Schubiner's books? All three have been a lot of help. There are many more, but I think it's important to choose at least one and use the information contained in it. Dr Sarno has a CD of Healing Back Pain, but I don't know about his other books. Amazon is a good source. Dr Schubiner's book comes with a mediation tape, too.