Stormshadow
Peer Supporter
Hey everyone. I just wanted to say hello and I have to say that about two weeks ago if you would have told me I would be posting on a TMS forum, I would have looked at you like you had 10 heads since I had no idea what TMS was. I have been battling unexplainable symptoms and frustration for a variety of months depending on the symptom and I couldn't be happier that 2013 came to an end. I learned about TMS about 2 weeks ago when a chiropractor I was seeing for my neck and a variety of other ailments told me about John Sarno and some of his books. I purchased the Mindbody Prescription and like many of you saw myself and my situation in many of its pages. I believe there is a really good chance I have TMS, but there is still some doubt when it comes to some of my symptoms (especially those related to my arms). I have also made an appointment to see Dr. Paul Gwozdz in Somerset NJ on Thursday of next week who is a TMS doctor that I saw highly recommended in these forums. I hope you don't mind me introducing myself and giving some of my history and I would love to hear your thoughts on if you feel there might be a good chance TMS is the thing that has been adding so much suffering to my life in the past year.
From a personality perspective, I have always been a goodist. I worry about what people think of me; I worry when I think people are mad at me; I am a born-again Christian who desires to do the right thing in God's eyes; etc. I also am a bit of a perfectionist and definitely have an obsessive and worrying personality. I have always had low self esteem and trouble with guilt over a variety of issues in my life. I just turned 40 this year and I started battling depression and anxiety about 10 years ago when I went through a divorce. During those times I was in psychotherapy, a variety of addiction rehabs and on various antidepressants. About 5 years ago I came off everything and thought I was doing well with exercise, diet, my new faith, positive things in my life, etc.
However, 2013 was an incredibly stressful year. I battled for weeks about whether I should change jobs; I had a skin thing removed which was potentially cancer (but not so); my current wife and I sold our home (which I really did not want to do but it moved us closer to her family and further from mine); we had complications with selling that home; we then had to move in with my mom for 5 months which was completely stressful as she and my wife didn't get along; my wife lost her job and was unemployed 6 months; my company went through a restructuring; we then thought we found a home which fell thru due to inspection issues; we then found another home finally. And I had to do most of that work despite working long hours at my job. I guess I just wanted to say there were lots of life changing events this year.
In July 2013, my wife, her mom and I were rear-ended in a car accident. Nobody was hurt, even her mom who is 76. It really wasn't a bad accident. About a week later I started getting low back pain and some stiffness and spasms in my mid-back. Went to ortho who had MRI ordered which showed bulging disc in L4/L5 region. He prescribed physical therapy which didn't help much. During PT, I had a setback where I had to go to the ER for pain further up my back which immobilized me. I had been prescribed antiinflammatories and muscle relaxants and resumed PT.
In September 2013, both my forearms and wrists started hurting. I believed this was due to overuse since I had moved and started taking a longer train ride where I increased my time on my ipad. I also work on a computer all day and enjoy playing video games. Tried resting it, ortho examined me and said its no big deal and that I probably just needed PT and stretches. So I was going to PT for back and arms every day between the two.
In late September, I flew on an airplane for vacation and my ears wouldn't pop afterwards. They still ahven't. Just crackling. I also developed sound sensitivity in one ear. 2 different ENT's did hearing tests and did a brain and inner ear MRI which showed nothing. They attributed it to myofasical pain in the jaw and neck which was pressing against the ears.
After all of the above, I became extremely depressed and had lots of dark thoughts. My passion was playing video games and exercise and I couldn't do either. I was afraid to do sports and became obsessed with my body. I then started getting worse jaw pain even after starting to wear a dental mouthguard at night.
Depression and anxiety got even worse. In October I started also having numbness/weakness in my right leg. It would alternate between my ankle and now sometimes goes up my whole leg. It's like the leg is heavier or weaker than my left.
My hip is developing sharp pain as well and I developed a sharp pain in my groin area in that tendon that connects to the pelvic bone. I also just found out I have an inguinal hernia. So it is tough to know where the pain is coming from. The tendon/hip thing or the hernia.
My whole body is completely stiff. I've been to orthos, GP, acupuncture, PT, chiropractor, neurologist, rheumatologist. I had an MRI of my neck/cervical spine which showed no pinch nerves or anything major.
I also started developing serious pains in my neck and upper back trap muscles which would send referral pain to the back of my head and give me tension headaches which I never had.
I developed a complete obsession with my body. Some doctors told me maybe its fibromyalgia. Some said maybe my brain has been rewired to have a lower pain tolerance. I got to the point where I was living inside my body and realizing every sensation that it felt in fear that it could be some new symptom.
I know alot of the above is related to TMS. However, after reading the Mindbody Prescription, i was confused about the arms thing since that stresses me out the most. There is now numbness in some of my fingers along with the pain in the forearms. I had EMG's done a month ago before the numbness started getting worse the past two weeks and the EMG"s of my arms and legs were fine. Could I get a nerve issue in just a few weeks? I also didn't know if TMS could affect muscles in the arms since I thought Dr. Sarno only mentioned muscles in the back, butt and neck and only nerves in the arms and legs. But I can feel specific muscles in my forearms that are in serious pain.
Along the way I also became obsessed with trigger points. I bougth a trigger point workbook at B&N and became convinced that maybe that's what I was suffering from. But how could i have this many trigger points all of a sudden in 6 months? And doing the trigge rtherapy isn't helping much either. In fact, I'm just bruising myself and making me more paranoid.
I've started journaling about my feelings since I believe I repressed alot. However, there are tons of things in my childhood and stresses that I don't know if I'm that angry about them. The past week or two, i've been a littel less obsessed with my body and more focused on my feelings. even my therapist said these past two weeks she has noticed a change in our topics of conversation.
Anyways, I neeed to stop since my forearms are hurting bad now and I'm sure I'm boring you guys. Just was curious if TMS could do all of that stuff above? It's nice meeting you all and I'm sure we will be in touch.
From a personality perspective, I have always been a goodist. I worry about what people think of me; I worry when I think people are mad at me; I am a born-again Christian who desires to do the right thing in God's eyes; etc. I also am a bit of a perfectionist and definitely have an obsessive and worrying personality. I have always had low self esteem and trouble with guilt over a variety of issues in my life. I just turned 40 this year and I started battling depression and anxiety about 10 years ago when I went through a divorce. During those times I was in psychotherapy, a variety of addiction rehabs and on various antidepressants. About 5 years ago I came off everything and thought I was doing well with exercise, diet, my new faith, positive things in my life, etc.
However, 2013 was an incredibly stressful year. I battled for weeks about whether I should change jobs; I had a skin thing removed which was potentially cancer (but not so); my current wife and I sold our home (which I really did not want to do but it moved us closer to her family and further from mine); we had complications with selling that home; we then had to move in with my mom for 5 months which was completely stressful as she and my wife didn't get along; my wife lost her job and was unemployed 6 months; my company went through a restructuring; we then thought we found a home which fell thru due to inspection issues; we then found another home finally. And I had to do most of that work despite working long hours at my job. I guess I just wanted to say there were lots of life changing events this year.
In July 2013, my wife, her mom and I were rear-ended in a car accident. Nobody was hurt, even her mom who is 76. It really wasn't a bad accident. About a week later I started getting low back pain and some stiffness and spasms in my mid-back. Went to ortho who had MRI ordered which showed bulging disc in L4/L5 region. He prescribed physical therapy which didn't help much. During PT, I had a setback where I had to go to the ER for pain further up my back which immobilized me. I had been prescribed antiinflammatories and muscle relaxants and resumed PT.
In September 2013, both my forearms and wrists started hurting. I believed this was due to overuse since I had moved and started taking a longer train ride where I increased my time on my ipad. I also work on a computer all day and enjoy playing video games. Tried resting it, ortho examined me and said its no big deal and that I probably just needed PT and stretches. So I was going to PT for back and arms every day between the two.
In late September, I flew on an airplane for vacation and my ears wouldn't pop afterwards. They still ahven't. Just crackling. I also developed sound sensitivity in one ear. 2 different ENT's did hearing tests and did a brain and inner ear MRI which showed nothing. They attributed it to myofasical pain in the jaw and neck which was pressing against the ears.
After all of the above, I became extremely depressed and had lots of dark thoughts. My passion was playing video games and exercise and I couldn't do either. I was afraid to do sports and became obsessed with my body. I then started getting worse jaw pain even after starting to wear a dental mouthguard at night.
Depression and anxiety got even worse. In October I started also having numbness/weakness in my right leg. It would alternate between my ankle and now sometimes goes up my whole leg. It's like the leg is heavier or weaker than my left.
My hip is developing sharp pain as well and I developed a sharp pain in my groin area in that tendon that connects to the pelvic bone. I also just found out I have an inguinal hernia. So it is tough to know where the pain is coming from. The tendon/hip thing or the hernia.
My whole body is completely stiff. I've been to orthos, GP, acupuncture, PT, chiropractor, neurologist, rheumatologist. I had an MRI of my neck/cervical spine which showed no pinch nerves or anything major.
I also started developing serious pains in my neck and upper back trap muscles which would send referral pain to the back of my head and give me tension headaches which I never had.
I developed a complete obsession with my body. Some doctors told me maybe its fibromyalgia. Some said maybe my brain has been rewired to have a lower pain tolerance. I got to the point where I was living inside my body and realizing every sensation that it felt in fear that it could be some new symptom.
I know alot of the above is related to TMS. However, after reading the Mindbody Prescription, i was confused about the arms thing since that stresses me out the most. There is now numbness in some of my fingers along with the pain in the forearms. I had EMG's done a month ago before the numbness started getting worse the past two weeks and the EMG"s of my arms and legs were fine. Could I get a nerve issue in just a few weeks? I also didn't know if TMS could affect muscles in the arms since I thought Dr. Sarno only mentioned muscles in the back, butt and neck and only nerves in the arms and legs. But I can feel specific muscles in my forearms that are in serious pain.
Along the way I also became obsessed with trigger points. I bougth a trigger point workbook at B&N and became convinced that maybe that's what I was suffering from. But how could i have this many trigger points all of a sudden in 6 months? And doing the trigge rtherapy isn't helping much either. In fact, I'm just bruising myself and making me more paranoid.
I've started journaling about my feelings since I believe I repressed alot. However, there are tons of things in my childhood and stresses that I don't know if I'm that angry about them. The past week or two, i've been a littel less obsessed with my body and more focused on my feelings. even my therapist said these past two weeks she has noticed a change in our topics of conversation.
Anyways, I neeed to stop since my forearms are hurting bad now and I'm sure I'm boring you guys. Just was curious if TMS could do all of that stuff above? It's nice meeting you all and I'm sure we will be in touch.
