1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Hello All! New Member and Possible Fellow TMS Sufferer in Need of Opinions

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Stormshadow, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Stormshadow

Stormshadow Peer Supporter

Thanks Pingman and Mermaid. I really appreciate your support and optimistic outlook. It is a viscious cycle that I'm trapped in and I'm starting to believe that I will get out of it. I will also recommend that book you recommended Mermaid. I have zero doubt that stress and anxiety are a huge culprit with everything that I'm going through so TMS just offers some insight into why it does the disruption that it does. like i mentioned above, I just hope that I'm able to identify the triggers that are causing the problems. I'm already starting to anxious about what if I can't and the realization that this isn't a physical issue is not enough.

There are so many other observations I've been having about my life too. A month ago I was obsessed with my body, now I find myself wondering about things like do I really like my job. It pays well, but I have the type of job Sarno talks about in his books regarding dependency. There is no challenge and scarily most days I'm just sitting at my desk with nothing to do. My company is in a restructuring mode so I don't want to speak up too much and tip off that I should be laid off. But the otehr bad thing is that it all gives me too much time to think and obsess. I always thought I liked my job. But it is a very independent job with no social interaction. I also feel like I don't have many friends to do activities with so it just feeds that loneliness cycle. Couple that with some marital issues right now and it is alot of feeling lonely. But I see all of that more clearly now and yet there is still pain. So there must be lots of things like that that perhaps I have been burying.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Don't worry if you can get the repressions or not, just do the work the best you can. As long as you do the work the rest will fall in place. Worrying in a tms igniter so try to do some meditations when you begin to get anxious and let go the worries ok.

We have these emotions to let us know what not to be thinking about as much as we have emotions to ward us from trouble and the same with joyful emotions. When you have these type of negative emotions its a good idea to focus in your imagination the way a perfect day at work would be. Make this thought full of sights, sounds and feelings. This will help eliminate your lonely thoughts.

You have to think your lonely by habit for a while before it becomes conditioned right. Then when you start to feel that lonely emotion in your body you can change that feeling by changing the lonely thought memory and making it a memorial thought of bright lites, big laughs and lots of thanks yous. This is a tool you use to help your mind change itself. You have to think on what it is visually that is making you depressed. All you got to do is feel the feeling first then a memory will open up to you. Or make a memory with the emotion, its all done in your imagination but it can really help you change the way you see things thus eliminating your loneliness.

Also on a lighter note you could think of a time recently that bothered you. Are you in the picture or do you see the picture as its happening. If your in the memory then just step out of the memory in your imagination or minds eye and see if you can observe you from an objective point of view. This should really give you a release of the lonliness feeling but make sure to make the memory a happy one. Its your memory -- you can change it.

Mermaid likes this.
  3. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hey Stormshadow

Just wanted to let you know I've been thinking about you today with a lot of love and concern. Go with what Eric advises he's the man !
    I'm sorry you feel lonely, and send you a hug. :shy:

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Stormshadow

Thanks Mermaid. I really appreciate it. And I appreciate everyone's thoughts and caring words. I have my appointment with the TMS doctor tomorrow and am looking forward to it. I also listened to some Sarno Youtube videos this morning which just reinforce that I believe this is what is going on with me.

5. Mermaid

Hi Stormshadow

Hope everything works out for you the way you want it at the TMS doctor's tomorrow. Be sure to post and let us know how it goes.

Just stay as calm and relaxed as you can manage, I know it's difficult, but just trying to keep the idea of relaxation in your consciousness helps a little.

Take care of yourself ;)

6. Stormshadow

Thanks Mermaid again. Today for some reason has been a bit difficult. On top of all of the physical stuff I just woke up feeling completely anxious. That is the tough part. It is a general anxiety and I can feel my muscles completely tight and constricting my neck and jaw. I feel a bit emotional but am not 100% sure why. It's just hard to battle the anxiety feelings that make you emotional and make you physically tense when there isn't anything specifically that I'm aware of that might be causing them.

7. Mermaid

The waking up completely anxious and tense is nothing to worry about either, I've experienced the exact same thing. I absolutely hated it and tried to fight it, BIG MISTAKE ! It wasn't until I read Claire Weeks "Self Help For Your Nerves" that I realised that this is exactly the wrong thing to do. Her mantra is Face, Accept, Float and Let Time Pass. Don't fight it just go with it, do whatever you plan to do, and it will fade more quickly than if you give it energy by fighting it, and getting into the fear - tension - fear cycle. Given enough time it will just stop happening.

Feeling a bit emotional could be viewed as a good thing. Recovery from TMS is about recognising and processing our emotions, not converting them to pain because they are unpleasant.

I would recommend you read all of Balto's posts he had every symptom in the book and has been pain free for 10 years now, he is very wise and reassuring.

Please, please ease up on yourself.

Hope all goes well tomorrow :happy:

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Listen to these Audios by Claire Weeks as Mermaid mentioned above the book is Awesome. But there's something about listening to this ladies voice that will help tremendously.http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/claire-weekes-audio.2569/
    Bless You

Mermaid likes this.