1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

health care provider interested in TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mike1601, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Mike1601

Mike1601 New Member

Hello,

I have worked as a physical therapist for about four years. Roughly six months ago I came across information about Dr. Sarno and started reading his book, The Divided Mind. I have been so fascinated with this information and think about it a lot. With my particular practice, I often receive many referrals from for individuals with chronic pain conditions, namely chronic spine pain (back pain, neck pain, headaches, whiplash, fibromyalgia, etc.), because frankly many of my colleagues just try to avoid these types of patients. I have honestly felt burned out with working with so many of these patients, many of whom don't get better or may receive some temporary relief.

Ironically, the reason I learned of Dr. Sarno is that I have had chronic pain for the past several years and have physical pain daily. I started having extremely painful lower back problems about three years ago, to the point where I almost had to start taking time off work. I saw one of my colleagues for treatment and my back pain quickly resolved. Then, a short time later I started having severe neck and thoracic (mid torso) and rib pain, seemingly unexplained with no injury or anything. After reading some of Dr. Sarno's material, it made sense to me that there is a strong possibility that I have TMS, and the sudden onset of neck pain could very well be the symptom imperative. I'm in my mid-30's, athletic and health-oriented, so it always seemed so odd that I was having so many problems with pain. My pain doesn't prevent me from working, but I find myself frequently uncomfortable for most of the day.

After contemplating this for awhile, I have gained some insight as to why I'm having this pain and ways that I may be subconsciously feeling resentment, anger or even rage that Dr. Sarno describes. I honestly feel that many of these pain problems may be due to TMS. I do have to say, that I'm still able to help some people with actual physical problems. For example, I find such conditions as ACL reconstruction rehabilitation and other orthopedic/neurologic problems where patients really do need to have physical therapy and there is considerable improvement, but I often think that many of these patients need more psychological counseling. I think it would be awesome to approach patients from a TMS perspective but I'm unsure how/if I can actually do this from a licensing standpoint, since it would be so outside of the standard of care that I would be worried I could lose my license or suffer some type of penalty. Also, with all of my patients, I discuss with them the fact that MRI results are not reliable in diagnosing any pathoanatomical problem with the spine, and whenever I have attempted to have a conversation about the psychological aspects of pain, most folks are absolutely fixated on their MRI results and are just not receptive at all to any other explanation for their pain.

Mike

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Hi Mike,

Why do you think you would incur a penalty if you point your patients to towards TMS?

I once worked with a physiotherapist who told me that I might be suffering from "central sensitization". He saw my emotional distressed, and figured out that my pain was not entirely due to structural reasons. He even wrote a letter to my regular physician, explaining that emotional issues might have something to do with the pain. While my physician did not agree, the physio's tip set me on a search and I eventually found Sarno.

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

As a good TMS "goodist" you are fearful and being torn between wanting to help your clients and harming yourself--"perfect". I assume you had to pay a few bucks to the licensing body that issued your license, make them do a little work for your money and call or write them and ask them those questions. Or, ask some of your teachers.

I've had all kinds of body work perpetrated on me from acu to rolfing. I was a captive audience lying on tables with needles in me or skinny fingers up my nose and pitched all kinds of snake-oyls and gizmos and never thought of reporting the body worker/salesperson to their licensing bodies. Instead I helped their income streams by buying junk like blue green algae, chi machines, expensive chinesey looking supplements by the garbage can load that I had to buy a fishing tackle box to sort out and place on my car's passenger seat while commuting and swallowing by the fist full--who knows what's in all this stuff that's not regulated by the FDA? I finally got fed up feeding myself all that crap and threw away a small garbage can of the junk probably worth-less I paid $500 for.

So, I wouldn't worry too much, but then again with TMS we are talking about peeps emotional issues and their minds, so some may take umbrage. I have one neighbor who I gave the Good Doc's book to and she won't look at me anymore, but the good news is she no longer tresspasses to hog our building's laundry room.

I buy used copies of Dr. Sarno's books about half a dozen at a time on Amazon for 1 cent each + $3.99 shipping and pass them out like Halloween candy to sufferers. Once in a blue or full moon someone gets it and thanks me for it. I'm sure they usually go unread--folks need their TMS PROTECTION--if only they would use some protection before they drop a feral child on the planet, fucking-up their lives and leaving the rest of us to deal with them.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  4. MelissaJ93

MelissaJ93 Newcomer

As someone who just recently started going to a PT (two weeks ago) I would love for my PT to bring up this possibility. To at least allow me someplace to go and learn. I've been frustrated that I've had pain for so many years and no answer. My PT is fantastic and I am so thankful I found her, but she's just as confused about my pain as I am. When I heard about TMS I felt hope. I felt like I could be "fixed" and I wouldn't have to live with pain forever. It could become manageable.