1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 9 Headache! Help? :(

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by samuelrhys, Oct 1, 2015.

1. samuelrhys

samuelrhys Peer Supporter

Hi Guys,

So I went out on Saturday night with some friends and drank a bit and woke up Sunday with my face and pillow full of blood. Thing is I get random nose bleeds from time to time because I have weak blood vessels in my nose, literally if i tap it quite hard it will start to bleed. But from Monday night I started to get a bad headache in my eyes so looking at a screen is quite difficult and my head feels likes its being squeezed especially at the back on both sides.

I rang the doctor and he said he doesn't think the nose bleed is anything to do with it and its a tension headache. It's quite awful and trying to do my job with it sucks as I am a graphic designer looking at a screen all day isn't helping, its also why I didn't manage to get on here and do my program. Apart from this I am not exactly in any pain anywhere else.

Any advice would be great as I want this to go :(

Thanks

2. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Nose bleeds are scary...have you had your blood pressure checked recently?

3. samuelrhys

Yep well through all my back pain tests I had a full blood test thing done and that all came back fine.

4. samuelrhys

Anyone had anything like this ? My head feels really heavy especially at the back and there is a pressure just above my nose, I'm starting to get anxiety about it...

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Samuel. Try not to get anxious about the nose bleeds. Tests have shown nothing structurally wrong with blood pressure, so it is TMS.

Try to take shorts breaks from your graphic art work on the computer. Stand, stretch, do deep breathing.

I'll reply about tension headaches in a few minutes.

6. samuelrhys

Hi Walt

I was hoping you would write to me :)

I'm not too concerned with the nose bleeds just this headache is truly awful, I actually had to leave work today because it feels like I'm wearing an extremely tight hat also just above my nose is a lot of pressure and looking at screens seems to make the headache worse...

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

The Mayo Clinic says stress is the most common cause of tension headaches, but we all know that. My mother suffered from them and migraines most of her adult life, and I knew they were from financial reasons.

The clinic recommends Advil or Tylenol, but I find even more relief by relaxing, meditating, and drinking a cup of hot milk or soup. Even hot water with a little honey is relaxing.

Here's advice from the Mayo Clinic for tension headaches:

Rest, ice packs or a long, hot shower may be all you need to relieve a tension headache. A variety of strategies can help reduce the severity and frequency of chronic tension headaches without using medicine. Try some of the following:

• Manage your stress level. One way to help reduce stress is by planning ahead and organizing your day. Another way is to allow more time to relax. And if you're caught in a stressful situation, consider stepping back.
    • Go hot or cold. Applying heat or ice — whichever you prefer — to sore muscles, may ease a tension headache. For heat, use a heating pad set on low, a hot-water bottle, a warm compress or a hot towel. A hot bath or shower also may help. For cold, wrap ice, an ice pack or frozen vegetables in a cloth to protect your skin.
    • Perfect your posture. Good posture can help keep your muscles from tensing. When standing, hold your shoulders back and your head level. Pull in your abdomen and buttocks. When sitting, make sure your thighs are parallel to the ground and your head isn't slumped forward.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I have a tension headache myself right now, but I know what it's from. I have financial worries, too, like my mother. Everyone always says I am a lot like her.

Even though my boss emailed me today that things are looking up for better and more regular pay, I think the headache is because I've worried so much, even catastrophized, that my head needs time to really get it that things are going to be better. I also tell myself I'm in a very big boat. Everyone but billionaires are worried about money. They may even worry because they want more.

You could tell yourself something similar, that others have tension headaches, and there is comfort in the old saying that "misery loves company."

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  9. samuelrhys

Thanks Walt I shall give this a proper read later once my phone has charge some more.

Just one question Can a tension headache last constantly all day everyday for 3 days?

10. Stella

Stella Well known member

Samuel
    You have recently started the program. I believe this is another TMS distraction to keep you focused on the physical and away from the psychological.

Worry and fear are also one of the TMS personality traits. I have to manage this in myself all the time. You can do it. Keep focusing back on the psychological.

Are you feeling angry? Are you feeling guilty? Are you feeling rejected? Is fear of the future causing symptoms? Is fear of failure causing symptoms?

Keep Journaling and investigating what is going on in your mind. You can do it.

11. samuelrhys

Thanks Stella It makes sense as I have had stomach problems a few months ago which have now gone not to count all the different types of pains I have had. But this headache is so depressing..

Well I was going to start planning on going to Germany at the end of the month I was actually quite excited at the thought of leaving this town. But then I guess with work being busy at the moment worried that my father would be able to cope with out me.

So I guess In someways I fear for the future, on the night out on Saturday I also saw some people who I didn't get on with at school and then a girl who I was talking to a few months back but then rejected me to go back out with her old partner, which I understood but I guess I did feel rejected.

I tried to find some people that have had a tension headache through tms which normally helps to read a success story but I am yet to find one..

Thank you for the encouragement :)

12. Stella

Stella Well known member

Journal about feeling angry about not being able to go on this trip. Are you setting yourself up with these headaches so you won't have to go? Journal about the guilt at leaving your father. Journal about how angry it made you to have this girl andfriends reject you.

You just posted a ton of good stuff to journal about. You talk to this headache "I don't care how bad you hurt I am going on this trip". Keep focusing on the psychological.

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Sam, I like Stella's suggestions. She and you and I and I bet lots of others have similar symptoms. I tell myself what my mother always said, and she had lots of migraine headaches: "This too will pass."

14. samuelrhys

Thank you I shall do that :) I always wonder with Journaling when writing how do you start off and also should you notice an improvement straight away or can it take a few days of writing?