1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hay Fever Time!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sussex TMS, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Sussex TMS

Sussex TMS Peer Supporter

Yesterday my hay fever started to appear for the first time this year. It's later than normal, which is odd as we've had the 3rd warmest spring on record. Last year was dreadful despite poor weather! Now I've had hay fever for longer than I've had back pain, but I can see how it could be TMS. The fact that it often appears without warning and disappears equally as quickly, in a lot of people, suggests that it may be a psychological issue. But it's harder to be sure than it is with back pain.

My question: how can I be sure that it is TMS?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Sussex TMS,

I'm sure my "allergies" or "hayfever" is TMS. I went to an allergist years ago and had all the testing and didn't have a real allergic reaction to anything despite very severe symptoms. The doctor diagnosed it as "nasal sensitivity syndrome", and if that isn't just a name for TMS, then I don't know what is. Also, after learning about TMS, I started an evidence sheet for these symptoms, and mine are effected more by stress and psychological issues than pollen counts. I believe, too, that this is one of those TMS symptoms that is highly "contagious". The more people that complain about "hayfever", the more people that develop it, so it is seasonal.

Sussex TMS likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I used to get a cold every spring. One year I figured out it was "hayfever". Once I put a label on it, it didn't return--until this spring. I was in bed with a cold/hayfever (wasn't sure which) for three days. Deepak Chopra says "Staying home with a cold is the Western form of meditation." I knew my TMS rage/soothe ratio was out of balance and enjoyed staying home for a few days off from the daily-grind battlefield for a stay-cation. Everyone around me was getting it too--SteveO's meme. Go with the flow--or the nasal drip.

tt/lsmft

linnyc87 likes this.
  4. Sussex TMS

Sussex TMS Peer Supporter

Can't speak for you Tom, but I get colds all winter, and they're very different to my hay fever. With colds I actually feel ill, whereas with hay fever I just can hardly see with my eyes watering so much and constant sneezing. I'm sure these things affect us all differently though.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

We know Dr. Sarno says allergies (hay fever, etc.) are TMS, but it is strange that hay fever for me comes on in the spring
    and goes away with the first frost in the late summer or early fall. Maybe that's just how I've come to see it.

I had hay fever bad when I was in the army. And also when I was a newspaper reporter in a small farm town in Indiana.
    I had it bad then, but over the years it has been more mild. I see it as a benefit of growing older.

There is so much medication on the market for hay fever, but I haven't used any in years. I just try to forget I have it.
    I sneeze and blow my nose, and my eyes aren't bothered much at all. I guess I'm lucky.

Now I figure it's TMS and that if I stay calm and happy, it won't bother me.