1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Have you recovered from Lower Back Pain?

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Christos73, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Christos73

Christos73 Newcomer

I am a Psychotherapist undertaking a doctoral research study looking into recovery from chronic low back pain.
    I am very interested in interviewing participants who have recovered from chronic lower pain within the last five years without obvious medical intervention and who have been pain free for at least one year.
    Participation in the study will involve a face to face interview lasting approximately 90 minutes in North London, Islington.

This is a 'heuristic' study, which means I will be also be using myself as a case study because I recovered from chronic back pain a few years ago after working with Georgie Oldfield.

If you fit the criteria and would like to be included as a research participant then please get in touch with me and I can send you further information.
    My email address is
    CC1232@live.mdx.ac.uk and I can be contacted on 07828 067 838

Many thanks
    Christos Christophy

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I recovered from low back pain but it was 15 years ago. I've seen thousands recover since then. I just finished writing a book on back pain that Dr. Sarno is reading now.

I would be interested in seeing your selection and exclusion criteria, and any thought you've given to placebo.

good luck

SO

3. Christos73

Christos73 Newcomer

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.
    I am interested in interviewing participants who have recovered from CLBP within the last five years and have been pain free for at least one year. Exclusion criteria for this study are those whose recovery was a result of surgery, postural-structural-biomechanical (PSB), pharmacological or any other commonly practised medical intervention for back pain. I don't have any other exclusion criteria.
    So far I have completed two in-depth analyses and the material has been fascinating and with a lot of unexpected content.
    Placebo is often discussed in the literature and is viewed differently depending on the perspective and epistemology of the researcher. It has not been something that has been particularly prominent in this research, at least so far.
    Thanks for your questions Steve,

Christos

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Christos,

I know Forrest doesn't want to hear this right now, but this is another area that he can push this site open wider.

He's done an amazing job of trying to help people with his work here. I don't think he gets thanked enough for his endless hours. The requests and demands coming in are constantly pushing him to keep up. But, it would be a nice addition to "unt-Vicki" for a section on mindbody studies; for professionals and laymen to work together. They could come here to post, like you just did, for participants, post results, etc. He could have an active study section and post-study. I say this from someone who has been critical of most studies. They haven't revealed much truth yet.

It looks like you don't want people who've had surgery "success", drug "success", or therapy "success"? Is that right? You only want people who healed with awareness?

I have seen thousands heal over the past 14 years, I didn't work with them all. They write to me and I talk to them often. So there is plenty of anecdotal proof. How you find them is another story. They often disappear after they heal, loving life again.

I don't know what you'll gain because of the nature of cause and effect, but I'm interested to see what you end up with. Let me know if you need anything.

Steve