1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Have I opened Pandora's box?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by littleme, Feb 20, 2014.

1. littleme

littleme New Member

Hello, everyone. I developed low back pain at 51, but I have previously suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome, tight psoas muscles causing hip pain and something that felt like fibromyalgia, but was pretty manageable. In 2012 I lost 75lbs and felt amazing for a while and then after working on my "tight" hips in yoga, started having low back pain. I have read "Healing Back Pain" and done about half of Alan Gordon's Recovery program (what an amazing voice he has for therapy, I could listen to him for hours). I just started journaling today.

The thing that convinced me this is TMS is that while I was listening to Alan's audio clips and just sobbing, I realized my back didn't hurt at all. Then after that, when my back started to bother me, I would take a mental inventory of all the things that might be distressing me and the pain went from a huge distraction to being hardly noticeable. So now I'd like to see where the SEP will take me. It's a little scary, because already so much horrible sadness has bubbled up. If there is rage behind that, I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

There's also a more technical/medical aspect that interests me. After I lost the weight, I developed Raynaud's Syndrome (cold and numb fingers and toes in response to cold). I thought it was an issue of just being skinnier. In my reading online I found it's a disorder of the autonomic nervous system, often linked to autoimmune diseases and it may precede autoimmune symptoms by decades. I understood "Healing Back Pain" to say that autoimmune disorders weren't technically caused by TMS but may respond to the same treatment. Do they also have an origin in autonomic nervous system dysfunction? The impact of the subconscious on health may even be scarier than feelings I've been trying so hard not to feel.

chrisami likes this.
  2. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

That is wonderful you started journaling. WOW, you already have an evidence sheet that your symptoms are due to TMS.

You will be truly supported here on this forum. Welcome!!