1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Book Has anyone read the Adam Heller Book?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by samanthaloveslife, Mar 8, 2012.

1. samanthaloveslife

samanthaloveslife New Member

Hi,
    Has anyone read the Adam Heller book/workbook - "Zero Pain Now'? Or has anyone visited him in person? I came across a radio interview with him on the web. He names TMS as Diversion Pain Syndrome.
    When I looked into his background he has trained in Timeline Therapy and NLP.
    I wondered if he uses Timeline Therapy in his treament sessions and has anyone tried this with any success/experiences to share?

Samantha

donavanf likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Heya, Samantha.

I just ordered his book and workbook through Amazon (to preserve my objectivity and because of my role in the wiki, I don't accept complimentary copies of books). I try to keep up to date on all of the different authors out there for my work at the wiki. I'll get them on Monday and will be happy to tell you what I think once I have a chance to take a look at them.

It looks like his work is very much inspired by Dr. Sarno and consistent with his teachings. In the second paragraph of his essay entitled "Can You Cure Your Chronic Pain Today," he writes,

I thought that the following video about Timeline Therapy was interesting:

donavanf likes this.
  3. samanthaloveslife

Hey Forest,
    Thanks again for your insight into this. During the radio interview that I listened to on the web (I have not worked out how to post the link yet but anyone interested can search this) Adam Heller says that he has a faster 'cure' of TMS (or "Diversion Pain Syndrome") than Dr Sarno, which led me to believe that he may use Time Line Therapy or NLP in his treatment. I am only guessing though. also he claims to have 100% success rate.
    Thanks for postingthe link above to Time Line Therapy. I had seen this and found it interesting how the process works at uncovering the repressed emotions.
    I will look forward to your views on the book Forest, once you have had a chance to have a look at it.
    Thanks
    Samantha

4. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Interesting... I've never heard of Adam Heller. I'll have to check this out, too.

5. Forest

I just got Heller's book and will begin to read it tonight. I did flip through a couple pages of it, and it does look like he uses the Time Line Therapy and NLP method. I am a little curious as to how he incorporates these into his treatment. I will keep people posted on it. It's always interesting to have another voice/book out there on TMS.

donavanf likes this.
  6. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

I'm curious about Time Line Therapy, too. Keep us posted.

7. samanthaloveslife

Thanks Forest,I will be most interested. I hae ordered the book too but will take a few weeks to get here.
    I am going to a TimeLine Therapy Seminar this weekend so I will see it in action and report my findings!

Forest likes this.
  8. Forest

I have read through most of Zero Pain Now, and it is pretty good. While Adam Heller is not doctor, he speaks as a person who had TMS and was able to recover. His recover story, which he tells early on, is powerful stuff. It sounded like he went through a lot and was able to use the TMS principles to overcome it. Like other authors, Heller uses a different term. Instead of TMS, he uses DPS or Diversion Pain Syndrome, which I think is pretty easy for people to grasp. Sarno does come up quite often throughout the book as being a pioneer in the treatment of chronic pain.

The first half or so of the book seems to be designed to really help people accept the diagnosis, which is great because accepting TMS is a huge part of recovering. He adds a lot of great success stories in the middle of the book as well, and the book has a very personal feel to it. It seems like his general approach is that once people accept the diagnosis and begin to think psychological, their symptoms will fade away. He actually mentions several times that almost all of his clients become pain free within one session with him. I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is, but I am always amazed at just how effective the TMS approach is in treating chronic pain.

So far the book itself doesn't really get to specific treatment approaches people can do to overcome DPS, or TMS, on their own. He mentions that every paragraph and sentence is written in a specific way to help people recover and that there might be grammatical errors. It sort of reminded me of The Presence Process and how reading the book was the treatment itself.

This might change near the end of the book, so I may give everyone an update about this when I finish the book. There is a Zero Pain Now workbook that people can also get, and that seems to have that structured treatment plan, which would probably make it a great addition to the book. It basically contains lines for people to journal in and asks a few structured questions like Dr. Schechter's Workbook and the wiki's program. One neat thing about the workbook is that there is an email address people can send their journal entries to and possibly receive feedback from Adam Heller. Having that connection could be really helpful for some people.

I am curious as to how the book finishes, but just thought I would post some of my initial thoughts over the first 2/3 of the book. All in all it is a good read and does a solid job at introducing the concepts.

donavanf, Enrique and veronica73 like this.
  9. samanthaloveslife

Hi Forest,

Thank you for your update on the book. Always interesting to hear others thoughts. Do you any further updates on the remainder of the book?

donavanf likes this.
  10. Pandamonium

Pandamonium Well known member

Very interesting and great to have another tool in the box to beat TMS ;)

11. Pandamonium

Pandamonium Well known member

Very interesting and great to have another tool in the box to beat TMS pain.

donavanf likes this.
  12. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

this is really interesting a book i have called "eye yoga" i bought it because it talks about the connection between the brain and the eyes since i have eye problems. the first half of the book is the usual physical eye exercises that i went through already but thats not why i bought it. i wanted to understand the connection better between mind and body and this book deals with it in my specific case. anyhow they mention something called "Time Dimension Therapy" in the book and its pretty much what you're talking about here with Time Line Therapy. It's visualizing going back to events in your past and reimagining them (I dont know if I read the description in the book correctly but this is what I got from it). I was thinking about giving this technique a try as well but Im working on 3 techniques right now as it is so I want to give those a chance to work first.

Its interesting to me that some behavorial optometrists actually believe there is a stress/mindbody connection with the eyes. Almost all doctors that I've met think that there has to be something physically wrong causing your pain but when I was done with vision therapy, at the end of the 6 months, I told my optometrist that I was going to pursue psychological means of treating this problem. He said that sounds like a good idea. I remember having some bad days during Thanksgiving weekend because I was under stress from being with my fiance's family and when I asked him about this the Monday afterwards why I had so much pain even though I wasn't doing computer work he said "Were you under stress this weekend?"

13. kathy

kathy Newcomer

Hi, Forest -
    Did you ever finish Zero Pain Now?
    If so, what do you think about it?
    Have you visited Adam Heller's website?
    Thanks!

donavanf likes this.
  14. kevin95630

kevin95630 New Member

Regarding Adam Heller and the Zero Pain Now book and program:

I purchased the book and found it to be a useful adjunct. As a result, I began to investigate his program, which he promotes heavily. I went to his web site, and no great surprise, the test he offers indicated that I am the ideal candidate to purchase his $500 program.

He followed up with a series of emails reminding me that his test had identified me as someone who would be successful by purchasing his program. Eventually this led to him offering me a free 15-minute personal consultation. He began the call by asking me a couple of questions, including what I had done so far. I told him about my experience working with this web site and the program here. He interrupted me to say, "May I have your permission to be direct? Because I have to tell you, so far, you have done absolutely nothing. "

He dismissed Dr. Sarno's idea that accepting the diagnosis is the most important aspect of resolving pain. He told me I could read books and participate in forums, but that I was essentially wasting my time unless I engaged in a structured program, such as the one he offers. I didn't argue. The idea of a structured program appeals to me and I agreed, saying I thought that was reasonable.

"See what you did there!" he countered. "You just said 'I thought,' and that is a big part of your problem." He explained that I think too much. OK, no argument from me on that, although his brusque approach was beginning to have the ironically welcome effect of stirring unpleasant emotions. His intent perhaps? Carry on...

He assured me that as the world's greatest expert on this subject, he could tell, even from our brief encounter that I was ideally suited for his $500 program and that I would benefit greatly from it. Super! I want to benefit greatly and I was almost ready to sign up on the spot. Almost. I probably would have, had he stopped there!

But he did not. When I supportively mentioned that I thought his program sounded like something I could benefit from, he pointed out that I had referred to "thinking" again. A big problem of mine, he said. OK. Probably so. Good. I added that I was excited about the program (emotion, not a thought!) and noted how great it was that he offered a guarantee, which doctors and chiropractors do not. This instantly triggered a response from him, and he replied in a somewhat scolding tone that I should not purchase his program for the guarantee. He explained that he "has to offer that", (?) but that in his private consultations, for which he charges $15,000 (!) he never offers a guarantee. A guarantee is a psychological hook, and it gives the participant an "out", a reason to fail. And he wants people to commit 100%, no matter what it takes, or how long it takes. OK. Although some self-evident questions suggest themselves here! But I didn't ask. Instead, I told him I understood and agreed that it was reasonable (oops! there I go again, and I corrected myself for "thinking," just as he was about to).

After the call, I returned to his web site and began to look through it. It is a little difficult to navigate, because it keeps wanting you to take the test again and to go through the funnel towards purchase. I managed to find the page where he has a comparison chart showing features of the three programs he offers. There, he again touts his guarantee (although when I scrolled down to the fine print, it it is clear that if you open the books or write in the workbook or otherwise actually use the materials, they are no longer "new" and suggests this will invalidate the guarantee).

In the chart, he shows that the cheapest program has "no guarantee". The mid-range program has a guarantee. And the $500 program has a triple guarantee, for which I could not find any explanation. Up popped a chat invitation to help me by answering any questions. So I inquired. First about the distinction between the Email support offered and the 12 months of personalized support offered only by the $500 program.

The chat operator responded, telling me that for the first 30 days, support is provided by email. After that, support is provided by email. I assumed it was not what she intended to say, since that makes no sense, so I asked for clarification. No reply. After waiting about 10 minutes, I typed "??" and got a response that there was something wrong with her software. She told me that the IT guys were waiting there to fix it and asked if I had any other questions before she closed the chat.

I asked again about the different support options, and also asked her to explain the difference in the guarantees offered by the programs. She told me she had already answered the support question and that the guarantee is fully explained on the site. Further, she repeated the exact same line previously offered by Adam that I should not purchase the course for the guarantee.

I told her I understood she was under some pressure to close the chat, which may explain her lack of responsiveness and suggested that I would try again later, after the IT guys finished their work.

In about 10 minutes, I got an email from Adam saying that he knew it was me on the chat because he had connected my IP address to my previous inquiry. He went on to say, "You seem disturbed." He then continued with:

My feeling is that you probably want to wait for a program until you are really ready. We will be here when you are.

She did answer your questions about the difference between email and personalized support and with your focus on the guarantee so strong after our call this may not be your time.

I know enough about sales to recognize the manipulative "takeaway" technique! It's just my opinion of course, but it struck me that the calm, gentle smoothness he presents is eerily reminiscent of the disarming facade presented by sociopaths. Hopefully that is not the case, but when coupled with the manner in which he was triggered by the most casual mention of his "guarantee", and his non-responsiveness to legitimate and reasonable pre-sale inquiries raised huge red flags for me.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Forest, JanAtheCPA, Ewok2 and 3 others like this.
  15. birder

birder Well known member

What a great story! There are plenty of snake-oil salesmen out there.

JanAtheCPA, plum and kevin95630 like this.
  16. colls100

colls100 Well known member

Always best to take notice of the red flags, or what your gut is telling you about someone/something.

17. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Sadly there are those who will take advantage of vulnerable people and I thank you for pointing this guy out. One of the beauties of this forum is that we protect each other from these snakes.

We are also actively dealing with another dubious clinic and to that end we welcome any posts and updates about bad experiences and red flags.

Many thanks @kevin95630 for this insightful heads up.

JanAtheCPA, kevin95630 and Click#7 like this.
  18. ter456

ter456 New Member

19. ter456

ter456 New Member

Thank you for your post Kevin....he sounds incredibly condescending to me and I would not work with him...just my opinion, but working with somebody who tends to be brusque is that last thing I need.

20. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

Wow he sounds like a dick! Can I say that here :)

ter456 likes this.