1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Groundhog Day

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by steveomal, Oct 9, 2017.

1. steveomal

steveomal Newcomer

I have been "fighting" through an episode of TMS. I have read from many of you that you have been going through your episodes for years. My latest episode has been going on only for a couple weeks. Because of my previous episodes of back pain and sciatic pain I have been very stringent in following Dr. Sarno's TMS program. I journal, introspect about my past, my current stressors, and my personality. Each day I have moments where I am pain free. I work to exercise to test my tension boundaries. Then I go to bed and the next morning I wake with the terrible tension and it can be in either sciatic throughout a hamstring or my back. Then I feel I go through it all over again.... It feels very frustrating to need to spend so much time (30 minutes in the morning, self-talk throughout the day, and another 30-60 minutes in the evening).

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you tried Alan Gordon's new Pain Recovery Program? There's a link to it at the top of the page. Maybe a slightly different approach is what you need. One of the concepts in his program is about how to stop "fighting" the pain, which increases tension and feeds the pain cycle.

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like you're spending a LOT of time ruminating about your TMS. I think Dr. Sarno would say when you feel the pain, think psychological--tell yourself it's ONLY TMS and keep on truckin'--do something you enjoy doing and find positive distractions to distract your sub-c from creating pain as a negative distraction/PROTECTOR/ defense mechanism.

Have you read a good TMS book recently to remind yourself of the PENICILLIN KNOWLEDGE?

Have you looked at the HOLMES-RAHE list for the emotional life events that are the build-up to TMS pain symptoms?

It would help if you'd fill out your profile with your story, don't have much to go on for background to supply you with help.

Cheers,
    tt

4. steveomal

steveomal Newcomer

Thank you both. I can't believe I just found this site last week. Dr Sarno's books have been amazing, but sharing and reading experiences is really helpful. There is so much great content and ideas. Alan Gordon's way of presenting information is awesome. I started reframing when I feel the tension and convinced myself to run yesterday. I'm sore today but more I just ran yesterday kind of sore and less from tms tension.

georgethee likes this.