1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Gout and foot pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by riverrat, Sep 25, 2017.

1. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

Hi,
    As I've learned about tms for my pain, I'm wondering if my moms on and off again foot pain could also be tms. Sometimes it gets so bad with swelling and redness and pain that she can't even walk on it. She is 77 years old. She does have knee and back pain also but not delibitating like the foot pain gets. Through the last few years, the only diagnosis she's gotten is gout in the foot or toe. It comes and goes. And all they do is give her prednisone when the attacks happen. I think that drug is very bad and not curing the problem anyway. Currently she got an attack of it 2 weeks ago and still struggling despite a week of prednisone. It originally started on the side of the foot, then improved, and moved to the heel in her other foot, and now that's better, but is in the top of her foot. We were in for Tons of tests a week ago to a walk in type clinic but I'm going to take her back to her regular doctor again this week to confirm all the foot swelling is not related to heart since she's been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. ( the walk in dr said all looked good that day with her heart and felt it was gout).
    My mom has been under a tremendous amount of stress the last 2 years from a terrible bullying neighbor, my brother became terminally ill and we were told he was going to die. ( he hasn't yet). Shortly Before that she lost her dog of 13 years, my dad died, and sister died suddenly a few months after my dad. So my mom lives alone now and has gone through a lot recently before and after the gout and foot pain started. Can all that redness and swelling and foot pain really be tms?
    I'm going to ask her to read steve's book but I would love to hear of any other people's experience with something like this with their feet.
    Thank you.

Click#7 likes this.
  2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

3. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

Thank you Fred!

4. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

I truly believe gout is a mind body syndrome for the following reasons:
    - I personally got rid of gout myself using tms methods.
    - If you ask gout sufferers, almost all of them will remember something stressful or traumatic happened not long before their gout attack. or they are currently stressed out.
    - If you randomly pull 100 people off the street and test them for level of uric acid, about 25 percent of them will be much higher than normal (about 7 I think) but only 2, 3% of them ever has gout.
    - My level of uric acid is still very high and I eat anything I like and I still don't have gout attack.
    - Some people with low level of uric acid and still have gout.
    - many people has Crystal in their joints and don't have gout attack.
    - many people with no crystal in their joints and do have gout attack.
    - most if not all gout sufferers do have other tms symptoms.
    - often many gout sufferer cure their gout "accidently" when they cured their anxiety/panic attack.
    - Happy and content and at peace people never have gout. Gout only attack people who are anxious, worry, depress, nervous...
    the high uric acid and the crystal or gout sufferers are like "slipped disc, herniated disc" for back sufferer. It is there but it is not the cause. Stress, negative emotion are the causes.

Bonnard, riverrat and FredAmir like this.
  5. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

I think you should still look at what she is eating and drinking that is high in purines. Seriously, maybe she is not taking care of herself since she lives lone and her diet might be suspect. It's our brain that decides what we put into our mouths unconsciously right ....TMS. I have a 94 yer old aunt..every time she eats shrimp she gets "the gout". She loves it and eats it anyway...she already tells her brain it's coming and it does.

6. bagofwater

bagofwater Peer Supporter

Well, this is a confusing little thread. We have a beloved grand eagle telling us that gout is TMS, and a well-known member (a TMS author no less!) saying it's a dietary issue. I am a veteran Alan Gordon/TMSer that only occasionally has flareups anymore - the most current one toe and heal pain. I should mention that a couple years ago my Dr. mentioned my bloodwork suggested that I was a candidate for gout, so that's where my brain went when these symptoms popped up

This thread is quite old now. I'm wondering if there's any info that's more current or more definitive regarding gout and mind-body approaches. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @bagofwater,

You have, of course, put your finger right on the biggest issue regarding the Mind Body connection, which is that it's confusing, and of course it's different for each individual. That being said, I believe that there are a lot of conditions we encounter which are a combination of factors. I feel like I've believed this for many many decades, well before I knew anything about TMS theory. When I later read When the Body Says No, by Dr Gabor Mate, his theories confirmed my personal beliefs.

It takes a perfect storm of factors, and I think what we're beginning to recognize more is that when it comes to the inflammatory conditions, that emotional stress, emotional repression, and a stress prone personality, may have a lot to do with these conditions. The list of conditions with inflammation as a major factor is long, and getting longer. It's a scientific fact that stress and inflammation go hand-in-hand - they were designed to do so.

Unfortunately, by the time the physiology of an individual has been seriously affected by decades of inflammatory stress, medical intervention, and sometimes dietary intervention, are required. If you do a keyword search on my name and Rheumatoid Arthritis you'll come across my own story of why I think my RA was 100% brought on by stress. However, now that I've got it, I have to take the medication (confirmed by Dr Schecter), and I also discovered the cutting out sugar really really helps the symptoms (I already had a very healthy whole-foods diet) , as does increasing exercise. I also have to reduce stress, which is not easy in today's unsettling and uncertain world where mental health is being challenged every day.

There are no simple answers.

bagofwater likes this.