1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Good progress so far

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Pi Guy, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Pi Guy

Pi Guy New Member

Hey All,
    I have slowly been chipping away at the Structured Educational Program for the past couple weeks. I first introduced myself here. I have had a pile of symptoms for the past 15 years that have severely impacted how I live my life. I was, at one point, very active. I would snowboard, I ran track, I lifted weights, I rode my bike 100+ miles a week, it was a big part of my identity. Over the course of 15 years I got to the point where the only regular exercise I got wasn't much more than a regular mile long walk.

In the past every time I have tried to increase my activity level it has gone great at first but after a few days or a week I would get some sort of new "injury" or re-aggravate an old one. The set back would require 2-3 weeks of recovery before it felt normal again. And so the cycle went. I just felt like I was falling apart and there was no way I was ever going to minimally strengthen myself, let alone go for a run or go snowboarding.

Anyway, since learning about TMS and starting the Structured Educational Program I have been bumping up my activity level way more than I ever thought I would be able to just a month ago. I have started some regular lifting in addition to riding my bike more. Just a month ago the most riding I felt I could safely manage was my flat, slow, 1 mile commute to work. The last couple weeks I have been able to throw in some 10 mile rides here and there and bump the pace up a bit. I haven't been symptom free but they have definitely been lessening. Given how things have gone in the past the combo of increased activity and decreasing symptoms is pretty remarkable. I've got more work to do but I am really pleased with the progress so far. I have even started to think about going for a run, something I haven't done for about 12 years!

Jason

Ellen likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jason,
    Wonderful report you make. I enjoyed reading this. This "cycle of setbacks" for active people seems common with TMS. It seems you are seeing through it, and breaking the cycle!!
    Andy B.