1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Good news and mixed news

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by riv44, Jun 26, 2016.

1. riv44

riv44 Well known member

I would like to let all the newcomers know that chronic pain has disappeared. I have normal age-related episodes in various joints, but happily the TMS fear cycle is broken. It's amazing. HOWEVER there has been some shifting of symptoms to digestive system. I am getting the routine screenings, and the doctor put me on an IBS diet. It makes me a little crazy because it is very limited (ever hear of a low fodmap diet??) and has potential to become another TMS obsession.
    Does anyone here get treatment for GI stuff?

2. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

I have been suffering from GI issues for about 8 months straight now...both upper and lower.

I recently had a full colonoscopy and endoscopy and pretty much zilch was found so I think it gets labelled as 'functional' which basically means there is nothing observable wrong.

I'm not sure if it is IBS as such as I don't get pain at all but just loads of bowel and stomach gurgling and rumbling and some heartburn and bloating.

All this did directly replace a year solid of chronic daily headaches and feeling spaced out so I wouldn't really be surprised if it is a symptom shift as well.

3. riv44

riv44 Well known member

Yeah- like not to be graphic, but laxatives have no effect on me. I have to do the full workup, but TMS went to the gut, I think. It's still better than chronic pain!

4. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

Congrats riv! While the success is fresh, any tips for the straggling strugglers? Any key insights that catalyzed the end of your pain? Thanks, E

5. eskimoeskimo

What helped you the most riv?

6. riv44

riv44 Well known member

What helped the most? I would say "Healing Back Pain" flipped the switch. It took some time after that, but I lost that feeling of hopelessness, that this would be my life. I did not complete the SEP. I learned to keep in mind that there is nothing seriously wrong with me. I am far from running triathlons- I have no desire to- but I made the link between psychological anxiety and worry to obsessing and worrying about pain. When I was in the throes of it, my family traveled to Italy. All I remember about Rome was walking into every farmaceria looking for forms of Ben-gay. In CVS here at home, there are aisles devoted to pain relief. In Italy, maybe there were a few items. I had a ton of back pain which made walking and sitting excruciating. I wish I could give you an a-ha moment, but yours will not be the same as mine.
    The main thing was seeing myself described to a T in "Healing Back Pain" and then gaining hope.

7. eskimoeskimo

Okay, thanks Riv. I appreciate your getting back to me on this. I'm probably just exercising even more TMS by hoping you've got some magic key that's going to make everything suddenly better. So it's good to be reminded that I've already got the necessary info/tools. Congrats again on your success! - E

8. riv44

riv44 Well known member

Don't do a mindtrip on yourself. TMS is a process, but it is not a little devil playing tricks on your brain. If you start to think everything you ask for is just TMS talking, you will drive yourself crazy! TMS is a descriptor of how psychosomatic symptoms developed in me over time. You will find your way out. Trust yourself.