1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

GLUTEN SENSITIVY

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

IS THIS TMS

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I think gluten sensitivity is a TMS symptom.

My year-older sister began losing weight and ached all over,
    and doctors couldn't understand why because tests and MRIs showed nothing structural.
    An East Indian doctor said it might be a nutrition problem and it was... something called
    celiac sprew which is a gluten problem. He put her on a gluten-free died and within days
    or a week or so she was back to normal, put on weight, and the pain left her.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I consider my sister's gluten sensitivity to have been TMS because she and I were very close
    as children and when I had severe back pain as an adult and discovered it was from
    repressed emotions going back to my parents divorcing when I was 7,
    I now realize that Mary had the same childhood stresses as I had.
    We were both preteens, trapped in situations at home.
    We repressed our emotional stresses by going to the movies a lot, to escape.
    But that lasts just so long.

It took learning about TMS for me to realize my boyhood caused my TMS.

Lizzy and North Star like this.
  4. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I believe a lot of the time it is when there is the absence of celiac disease or other structural issues. I went gluten free for a year and for a bit, when I had something with wheat in it, heartburn would hit me immediately. BAD heartburn.

Since learning about TMS, I can eat wheat with no adverse reactions. I avoid eating a lot of grains though because I need to lose weight and that's easier to do with a diet rich in veggies. :)

Lizzy likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, North Star. I think it was a combination of childhood stresses/repressed emotions and
    a real nutritional problem with my sister. Maybe a case of the chicken or the egg.

North Star likes this.
  6. North Star

Walt, I love hearing how you connect things to your boyhood. The sister I just wrote about in a new thread has asserted childhood doesn't affect adult behaviors. ("You just get over it and don't use it as an excuse.")

Yes, childhood brings a lot of baggage if one does not deal with it.

Bless you, my friend.

7. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Hi Boston Redsox, North Star and Walt! I suspect sensitivity to also be TMS. I'm going to throw another question in here though. I do child care for a younger relative and his wife. She is gluten sensitive and fits TMS profile I think. Here's the thing. She is breastfeeding exclusively and whenever she cheats the baby gets gas that can clear a room full of people in 2 seconds :) Doc says baby might be sensitive too. I wonder if mama isn't digesting well and that might be it? Baby has been amazingly calm, good sleeper, happy from birth. Any thoughts?

8. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

My mother had celiac sprue, which is a real disease involving an intolerance to gluten. But I think most of the gluten sensitivity in our current culture is a fad. But it seems pretty benign. If people feel better while eliminating gluten from their diets, then I don't see a problem. It's a harmless placebo. It is probably a good idea to eat less of that type of food anyway. But some people take these dietary exclusions so far that they can hardly eat anything. Then it becomes a problematic form of TMS in my opinion.

Lizzy likes this.
  9. North Star

Lizzy, The baby can absolutely be reacting to the wheat. I think the western diet does present some series issues when it comes to gut health.

I gotta head out the door so this is just a quickie. :)

Lizzy likes this.
  10. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

I have gluten intolerance and I do not think it is TMS. BUT I think someone else could have it and it could be TMS. I don't eat wheat but if I do by accident and I have a reaction -when I do I feel into it and listen to it. What I get is that the gluten is an irritant and is best avoided for me. I love to eat healthy with lots of fresh veggies and spices and fresh food. I find it gives me energy and vitality and happiness & peace. But anything could be a TMS distraction. A lot of unhealthy foods have wheat and it just feels heavy to me so I let it go.

11. Barb M.

Barb M. Peer Supporter

True celiac disease as with Ellen's mother is quite serious, so I'm not talking about that. But you go to any alternative/functional doctor regarding pain (or read things on the Internet) and they'll tell you to go gluten free, dairy free, do an elimination diet, etc. I still toy with the idea of trying again (I tried gluten free for six months and had no difference in pain), but I also wonder if it just feeds into my wanting to control and micromanage things in my life and is a TMS distraction.

lexylucy likes this.
  12. Boston Redsox

I did the same thing Barb in the beginning pre tms and no difference in pain or the way I felt.

13. linapina

linapina New Member

This discussion is interesting! As I have diagnosed fibromyalgia (or TMS as I am beginning to think) many people have suggested a gluten free diet (and lots of other fad diets too, like paleo and LCHF;-)) I have not been very interested as I hate any diet restrictions and I LOVE bread and 'wheat related food'. But after hearing this so many times I decided to try it for three weeks (someone said it takes at least three weeks for the body to 'heal’). I started this almost the exact same time as I found Sarno's book and learned about TMS (soon two months ago). I was very sceptic to the diet but was determined to go a month without gluten. It was very expensive (since I didn't want to give up bread/other gluten filled food it tripled my cost).
    I did feel better during this month. More energetic, less pain. BUT was it due to the discovery of TMS and reading about that and digging into my psyche or was it the diet?? Or a combination?
    I have no idea but I feel worse now. I really have no desire to add gluten sensitivity to my symptoms! and I am still very sceptic. I DO believe that most allergies (including gluten) are TMS related. I stopped after a month because someone (else) then told me it takes at least 6 months to see any improvement. And I wasn’t prepared to go that long. But now I don’t know what to do?
    n the mean time I am eating anything I like. ;-)

Tennis Tom likes this.
  14. Boston Redsox

I think limiting your self to certain foods or diets is just another STRESSOR unless you do have celiac ..one should eat healthy regardless to give the body nutrients to stay strong during the tms recovery god knows we need the strength. I tried it also, but I do limit gluten when I can…it does screw with ones system.

15. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Curl up with a loaf of dark bake sourdough French bread, slather on a lot of butter and a beverage of your choice. Maybe make that a steak sandwich or a nice filet.

Barb M. likes this.
  16. linapina

linapina New Member

LOL! Yes!

17. 3rdCoast

3rdCoast Peer Supporter

I agree with others in that it appears TMS can manifest in just about any system or area. But we still need to do right by our bodies nutrition-wise. The book Wheat Belly talks about how the commercial wheat of today is not the wheat we evolved alongside. It makes sense but I'm not an expert. Natural, organic, whole, vegetables and responsible proteins are all good ideas no matter what.

Lizzy likes this.