1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Getting started...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by MSZ812, May 20, 2015.

1. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

Hello everyone, my name is Matt. I am new to the forum. I'm 25 years old and have been experiencing daily pain in my right trapezius for about 15 months. I was introduced to TMS and Dr. Sarno through John Stossel's show on FBN. I read "The Mind-Body Prescription" about a month ago and am currently re-reading it. Like many others, I saw myself in the pages of this book, and many light bulbs went off for me that convinced me I was dealing with TMS.

The pain in my trapezius has not improved, although I am convinced that TMS is the problem. I have read some great things on this website and awesome success stories. I know it takes time for some people to have that pain breakthrough, so I'm committed to the TMS diagnosis.

My question is: what are some tips to try to train my mind into dealing with the psychological and not the physical pain I'm experiencing?

I'm hoping that re-reading the book will help keep these ideas fresh in my mind. I've also found a great YouTube video on the "12 daily reminders from Dr. Sarno" that I've made a habit this week of watching at least once daily. I've heard that journaling is potentially helpful as well. I've stopped taking NSAIDs because they seem counterproductive and I don't want to reinforce that idea that "inflammation" is the problem with my trapezius.

When the pain begins, I try to think about things that might be bothering me, feelings that may be repressed. I am not sure that I've identified what started the TMS.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum!

The free Structured Educational Program here on this wiki was really helpful to me.

When I first looked around at various posts here I saw a lot of people recomending Dr. Claire Weekes, especially listening to her audios. They are about what she calls, nervous illness. Anxiety and depression etc. I listened several times recently though, and realized they could be used to think psychologically. They helped me with the fear of pain. I just substitute pain when she speaks of anxiety etc.

Also, lurking around in old threads was helpful to me, I could see lots of people have been here getting help over the years. Very reassuring.

You have found a great place here!! Hope to hear of your progress,

Lizzy

3. fneal

fneal New Member

Hi Matt, like you I have just started on this journey.
    As I understand, the key is to shift your thinking from the pain, when you find yourself noticing it, to an emotion you may be having. As the repressed emotions that are causing your TMS are well hidden, it is likely you won't even know what they are at first, so just think about anything that is causing you anxiety, fear or anger or has done. Sort of a retraining. Good luck!

4. KatieDid123

KatieDid123 Peer Supporter

Hey Matt, I'm 26 and have been on this journey for over a year now with ups and downs. I think that the two biggest factors in recovery are eliminating the fear and believing that you have TMS 100%.

Really stop and listen to your daily thoughts and notice when your thinking slips into the negative/fearful zone. Thoughts such as "This sucks, I can't believe I have to deal with this", "Am I ever going to be able to do the things I love again?", "It's not fair that all my friends can do whatever they want" etc., further reinforce the pain and give your brain the exact satisfaction that it's looking for. Every time you have one of these thoughts, immediately switch it to a positive affirmation (i.e. I'm healthy and strong and am not limited physically in any way, etc.). Also, when you get a symptom, or it's particularly bad, try not to react to it. You have to accept that sometimes the pain will be worse, and sometimes it will be better. Try to develop an indifference to the pain. "Yeah, it hurts, but so what? I know there is nothing physically wrong with me." If you do this enough, it will send a message to your brain that the pain is no longer working as a distraction and it will give up. A good measure of success is not how much you can do physically, but rather how little you care about your pain.

Believing 100% that you do not have any sort of physical condition is the other big part. This has been hard for me. You have to not only accept it on an intellectual level, but you have to wholeheartedly believe that you are healthy, strong, and resilient. Try to piece together your journey and discover the reasons as to why you have this pain. Remember what it was like to be a normal, pain-free person and try to readopt this attitude. Whatever you believe in your heart will play out in your reality.

Best of luck!

Katie

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Lizzy and Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) like this.
  5. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. It is a great feeling to know that others have been where you are and have experienced progress.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Matt. I like the replies you've gotten and agree totally.
    I'm 84 and began having severe back pain two years ago but healed after I
    did the Structured Educational Program and healed after I believed 1o0 percebt
    that my pain was caused by TMS.

Lizzy likes this.
  7. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

I'm unfamiliar with that. I'm glad that your pain has ceased! I'd love to post a great success story like that in the future.

8. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi MSZ812,

I love the ideas you have gotten so far. I will add my ideas:

Don't worry that you must find the exact event, or trauma, or feeling, or emotion that is causing your TMS. I mean this in your history, as you investigate, and also in-the-moment as you think psychological. Sense into your body, notice what is up for you in the moment, and try ascertain how your inner child might feel about this. It can and does change all the time, what this inquiry reveals, and when you get information or suppositions, they don't have to be exact. In my experience the benefit is more that you are attending, asking yourself what is going on underneath. This is a huge change from the way we've looked at pain in the past.

Thinking Psychologically is very challenging for me, and yet I have had tremendous relief. The mind goes back to "did the guy that did the blood platelet injections damage my nerve?" But that is OK. This imperfect application of TP is just fine for me. I experience a little pain once in a while, and I skied around Crater Lake this year, and last year, and am a wild man on the dance floor in bare feet ---after years of crutches, wheel chairs, and 8 docs ready to cut on me. It doesn't have to be done perfectly. It is more about patience and sincerity.

Andy B.

Ellen likes this.
  9. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

The Structured Educational Program is free here on the wiki, just click on the hands above and scroll down a bit. Its 42 days, but can be self paced.

10. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

Thanks Lizzy! I'm definitely going to try the program.

Lizzy likes this.