1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

GERD and hiatal hernia

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Wanderer, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer Newcomer

Hello everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia after an endoscopy. Is it possible for it to be TMS? Other symptoms I feel on an almost daily basis are anxiety, depression, dizziness, lightheadedness, vision, motion and light sensitivity. The motion sensitivity is worse when I move my head to the left and right rather than up and down. It’s as if my eyes and ears don’t communicate properly. Because of all this, I have not been able to live a normal life where I can run errands on my own among other day to day tasks in fear that the symptoms will worsen. I don’t want to end up with agoraphobia.

side note: I have dealt with GI issues since I was a child but it had never gotten to the point where I’ve lost my appetite, vomited and lost weight as much as this summer. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading this.

2. Wanderer

Wanderer Newcomer

I have also been diagnosed with vestibular migraines, vestibular neuritis, seasonal allergies and Eustachian tube dysfunction.

3. Booble

Booble Well known member

Hi Wanderer, I can relate to your post. It's tricky when there is a lot going on with your body and nothing ever seems right.
    I think we are *supposed* to consider it all mind/body TMS but for me I figure if working on releasing mind issues can get rid of some of the physical discomfort issues then that is a big win. I've stopped trying to decipher what is what and just doing the work to release the hidden mental tension.

One of the key things you said, "in fear that the symptoms will worsen" -- that is what keeps us down and the TMS work helps so much.
    When you start to say F-it. They are just symptoms. Whatever. And can turn your attention from the symptoms to the mental release things start to get better. I'm new to all of this too so others can correct me if I'm wrong. I can say that in just a few weeks, things have gotten much much better for me. Physically things are better and anxiety way, way down.
    And all I've really done is acknowledge and understand Dr. Sarno's theory, tell myself to stop paying attention to the symptoms, stopped "checking myself" all the time (like checking heart rate), stop symptom searching, and write every day for about 1/2 hour getting in touch with all kinds of tucked away emotions and feelings that I really never knew were there or that I knew were there but didn't think were a big deal.

Best to your on your journey. Things are going to get better.

Wanderer and JanAtheCPA like this.