1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Generalzed anxiety disorder, Obsessive compulsive disorder and the like

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dabatross, May 5, 2012.

1. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

Most people that read on this board a lot I think see many topics about anxiety and how it influences TMS. Im wondering if everybody who has anxiety disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder, or anything in that realm would mind sharing their experiences on here about how it affects their TMS symptoms and mind body syndrome. I know for me I've had GAD and OCD since I was 7 so its going on 16 years and I truly believe that it has a lot to do with the symptoms I experience now which is why I'm focusing not only on journaling but meditative types of relaxation as well as getting back into exercising. I know beach girl has talked about having GAD as well so Im wondering how much anxiety disorders and OCD relate to TMS and mind body syndrome. I also wonder if there are good books out there that explain the connections between the two. I know Unlearn your Pain talks about it a bit and when I told Dr. Shubiner about my problem he said that OCD was another component of TMS. Looking forward to hearing your experience with it.

Thanks

Alex

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi Alex,

I think Dr. Sarno sees anxiety disorders equivalents of TMS. I've had anxiety on and off since 6th grade and I had panic disorder about 10 years ago. I don't have panic attacks anymore but I still get anxiety sometimes, and I think the obsessing part of TMS is a lot like anxiety disorders so for me they're interconnected.

My anxiety increased a lot when I first started working on TMS; I think this is pretty common. Since I've been dealing with anxiety for so much of my life it feels easier to handle than pain/anxiety about pain, but it some ways it's really all the same thing.

~ Veronica

3. Justina

Justina Peer Supporter

I agree with Veronica, I see OCD and GAD tying in with TMS. The obsession and rumination fuels TMS and keeps the whole cycle going.

I've had anxiety for over ten years and when it's especially bad I fall into a few OCD habits (checking, checking, checking...). I see anxiety as a result of the 'Type A' personality traits Dr Sarno talks about. You need anxiety to survive, but when it starts detrimentally affecting your life it turns into a disorder, much like TMS.

4. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

Hi Alex,

I was diagnosed with GAD in 1990 when I was having panic attacks fairly regularly. Once I had my my two car accidents in '94, the GAD kind of stepped aside for the headaches and neck pain, but it is always there. I also have some OCD tendencies, but nothing unbearable. Mostly, my pain is in the forefront. I am most definitely a worrier and it does seem like it is connected with the TMS personality profile.

It's funny how TMS makes us such high-functioning individuals. A couple of weeks ago, my mother (whom I have always had an extremely strained relationship with) was in the hospital for a week and I am the only one locally that she has to depend on. I went to see her 5 times during that week, and now, for the past 6 days, I have been in massive pain. It's like I had to be there for her and toughed it out, but now, I am in the backlash from it. I know it is anxiety...a major part of how TMS manifests with me. Hoping it will end soon...

Valerie