1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Freedom from anxiety

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by fongda, Oct 4, 2015.

1. fongda

fongda New Member

I had never thought stress could cause the numerous physical symptoms I have had throughout my teenage life. The dizziness, muscle trembling, chills and abdominal cramps among others.

Four weeks ago, after headaches and growing health anxiety due to my GI infections and issues lasting more than a month, I had an anxiety attack when my health screening results came back; white blood cells and mucous were found, and being the pessimist I am (this has to change), I thought I had Crohn's, but it was 'just' IBS. Following this attack, I started having pains in my hands and legs, pelvis which then spread all over my body. My condition was bad enough to drive both me and my family crazy.

However, since mid September, I have started to recognise that anxiety may have triggered the widespread body aches, fatigue, and headaches. I am doing CBT and am on Zyprexa and Remeron, and my symptoms have definitely improved together with my anxiety. But this program, I believe, is the key to my full recovery, as I have not addressed the underlying causes of the emotional tension I have built over my relatively short life (19 years). CBT will also aid me to eliminate my distressing symptoms over these months.

It has not been easy accepting the TMS diagnosis since my symptoms are persistent (although not intense as before) regardless of my stress level. But I have faith that my body is in very good shape actually, that the pain is simply an outlet for my subconscious mind, and that the neural pathways can be unlearned within a reasonable time span, as my mind is young and fairly sharp.

A life without TMS would free me once again to be as fit and active as I have been throughout my previous 19 years. Although I have only had these symptoms for one month, fortunately I have researched well and found out about TMS, so that I can get rid of these aches which are disrupting my academic and non-academic work. I understand that I must change my thoughts and behaviours to lead a healthy life once again.

Stella, JanAtheCPA and SunnyinFL like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, fongda. Welcome to this TMS community. I'm sorry you have pains but am glad you have learned about TMS and are taking the SEP.

You are young and are fortunate to have learned about TMS so early. I am 85 and didn't know about TMS until three years ago. It has improved my life greatly while relieving my severe back pain. I journaled to discover childhood emotions that I am sure I repressed but that eventually hit my back.

Anxiety? I know that demon. I've lived with it for most of my life. But I keep learning how to deal with it, through TMS knowledge. Deep breathing helps me a lot to control my anxious feelings.

You are definitely on the right track, as you say, to "change my thoughts and behaviors to lead a healthy life once again." I am confident you will.

I hope you are taking part in the free mindful meditations sessions that started Oct. 1. Guest lecturers tell how important mindfulness meditation is and offer suggestions on how to do it. It's mainly thinking about how you feel when you do deep breathing. There are some excellent free videos on Youtube on both deep breathing and mindful meditation. You might find them very helpful whether you join the sessions here or not.

SunnyinFL likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome, Fongda, and I echo Walt in saying that you are to be congratulated for finding out about TMS so early in your journey as well as your life - give yourself a ton of credit for that!

You will learn techniques that will help you navigate the pitfalls of modern life for the rest of your life. There is no one way to do this work, so be sure to scan the forum posts every day, because that's where you'll be exposed to all kinds of different people talking about many other resources that complement the work of Dr. Sarno.

Keep posting, and don't hesitate to ask questions and participate in this great community. We are all in this together!

~Jan

mike2014 and SunnyinFL like this.
  4. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi Fongda,

I wanted to add my support to what Walt and Jan said. I also admire the fact that you're still relatively young, but taking your health into your hands and finding resources to help you live a better life. You are exactly right about the SEP program - it is a powerful way to learn how to feel and address all sorts of issues. The techniques you'll learn will certainly give you a leg up as you move forward with your academic and non-academic work.

The anxiety you mentioned is something a lot of us have dealt with and understand well. I don't know if you've discovered yet that anxiety is a "TMS equivalent" - that is, another tool your brain uses to keep you distracted in its attempt to protect you from what might be overwhelming/repressed emotions. Understanding that point was key for me as I learned to deal with it.

I love your optimistic outlook and your willingness to do the work necessary to, as you say, live a healthy life once again! Sunny

mike2014 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

Oh, gosh, yes - thank you for mentioning that, Sunny! I agree 100%!

SunnyinFL likes this.
  6. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Fongda,

I'd like to echo Jan, Walt and Sunny, it's great that you've found TMS so early on in life. The works is not only important in healing, but it can ultimately allow one to live a more authentic and happy life once ailments cease to exist.

I'd like to add, you may find it worthwhile to create an evidence sheet and track the various TMS symptoms you've experienced - it will allow you to eliminate any fear or doubt you may have.

It's not only stress that causes symptoms but the whole spectrum of emotions; fear, anxiety etc. If one is constantly feeling as if they are under threat, real or the idea of, it will activate their fight or flight mechanism and make the individual susceptible to all types of disorders.

As Sunny has mentioned The SEP is a great start. It will allow you to review past and current stresses that may have have activated your fight or flight response.

Once you've identified these emotions you can use various techniques such as mindfulness meditation, mindful living and EFT to remove any unhealthy emotions with clear healthy emotions. I say, emotions and not thoughts, because each emotion could potentially have thousands of thoughts, where as if you make an emotion healthy, all the related thoughts will follow.

Finally, I'd like to add, I know the work can be overwhelming, but please do it at a gentle pace and don't add any stress, anxiety etc which could fuel the amygdala and stress response.

Good luck in your journey and please be kind to yourself.

Best,

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    SunnyinFL and JanAtheCPA like this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

This may not sound like Doctor Sarno, but I think we all need to think less about our pain and anxiety. Even practicing the TMS healing techniques can remind us that we are in pain or are stressed-out. Even psychiatrists "wig out" from hearing about patients' problems. One psych I know went to a special rehab place for psychiatrists who got burned out.

The new TV Guide came in today's mail and almost every full page ad is for some pain killer. They know that zillions of people are in one pain or another.
    I think a lot of our TMS and other pain comes from watching the shows on television. I find most of them are mindless and downright depressing.
    I prefer watching nature, history, old comedy shows, westerns. I am also turning off the tv and reading books again and listening to music I like, mainly classical.

I think it helps to go through the SEP and believe in TMS, then take some time off and do things we enjoy, distractions that take our minds into happier places.

But keep breathing deeply and doing mindfulness meditation, and laughing, and drinking hot milk. Those are real good ways to beat the pain and blues.

8. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi Fongda,

I wanted to let you know that I am inspired by your post. At 19, you're a relatively young adult, and a lot of adults much older than you don't have the courage to look in the mirror and address their own issues. You seem very mature and insightful - and I am so impressed with how proactive you're being to advance your own well-being. The point that Walt made about maintaining balance is something several of us relatively older members need to hear. You, though, have posted as a Day 1 Newcomer and are being proactive in precisely the way that you should be as you embark on the SEP journey. It doesn't work to leap frog over issues that need to be examined and addressed, so kudos to you for being willing to deal with your own "stuff." In due time, you'll discover that, at some point that's right for you as you move down the SEP road, it will be time to balance your introspection by looking outward and forward, too. I encourage you not to rush that process, though. It's very important to be patient and gentle with yourself as you embark on this journey.

We are all here to support and encourage you - please keep up your good work!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  9. JanAtheCPA

Good message for Day 1, Sunny! :)

SunnyinFL likes this.