Free Neuroscience Training Summit

Hi All,

It's not too late to sign up to the summit it's on now and the full line up is:

Event Schedule
Tue May 10
10:00 AM MDT Daniel J. Siegel, MD
Neural Integration at the Heart of Well-Being
Tue May 10
5:00 PM MDT Andrew Newberg, MD
How Enlightenment Changes Your Brain
Wed May 11
10:00 AM MDT Louis Cozolino, PhD
Why Therapy Works
Wed May 11
5:00 PM MDT Diane Poole Heller, PhD
How You Tell Your Story Tells Your Story: Language Patterns Express Your Earliest Experiences of Being, Bonding, and Developing Brain States
Thu May 12
10:00 AM MDT Bonnie Badenoch
Tender Attachments: Nourishing Our Children's Embodied Brains
Thu May 12
5:00 PM MDT Dacher Keltner, PhD
The Evolution and Practice of Compassion
Fri May 13
10:00 AM MDT Lisa Wimberger, MEd
Neurosculpting: Unifying Mind, Body, and Spirit
Fri May 13
5:00 PM MDT Gary Small, MD
Improving Memory and Brain Health
Sat May 14
10:00 AM MDT Rick Hanson, PhD
Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Lasting Inner Strength and Peace
Sat May 14
5:00 PM MDT Dee Coulter, Ed.D.
Cultivating the Mature Mind’s Brilliance: Insights from Neuroscience
Sun May 15
10:00 AM MDT Linda Graham, MFT
Shift Happens: Learning to Bounce Back from Disappointment, Difficulties, Even Disasters
Sun May 15
5:00 PM MDT Emma Seppälä, PhD
The Science of Social Connection and Compassion
Mon May 16
10:00 AM MDT Kristin Neff, PhD
Self-Compassion and Emotional Resilience
Mon May 16
5:00 PM MDT Kelly McGonigal, PhD
Changing the Default with Mindfulness
Tue May 17
10:00 AM MDT Daniel Amen, MD
Change Your Brain, Change Your Life
Tue May 17
5:00 PM MDT Janina Fisher, PhD
Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors: Overcoming Alienation from Self
Wed May 18
10:00 AM MDT David Grand, PhD
Brainspotting: The Brain-Body Relational Therapy for Rapid and Effective Change
Wed May 18
5:00 PM MDT Jeffrey M. Schwartz, MD
Mindfulness, the Brain, and Leadership
Thu May 19
10:00 AM MDT Mario Martinez, PsyD
The Cultural Brain: How Shared Beliefs Influence Health and Longevity
Thu May 19
5:00 PM MDT Stan Tatkin, PsyD
Attachment and Arousal Regulation in Couple Therapy
 
Last edited:
Okay, I'm in! SoundsTrue does great stuff.

Neuroscience has taught me so much about psychology. The smartest people, including Dr. Sarno, understand that mind and brain/body are one, so that if we understand the brain/body, then we understand the body. He talks about various brain regions in The Divided Mind and connects them to Freud's concept of the Id. In his most recent article for doctors and scientists, he also referenced a popular book on the neuroscience of consciousness and talked about the brain regions involved with TMS.

The first speaker, Dan Siegel, is terrific. Many TMS Therapists are excited about his work, so he's definitely one not to miss.
 
Dan Siegel is on right now, it's a live summit, but audio will be available for today, tomorrow. The interview is remarkable, fantastic stuff!
 
Thanks, Mike2014. The TMS Therapists seem excited about him, but I don't know much about him. Can you post the link? I think I missed it.
 
Thanks so much! If you poke through the source of the page, they have a direct link to the MP3 file:
http://soundstrue-ha.s3.amazonaws.com/oce/neuroscience-summit/media/NSTS_DaneSiegel_05_10_16.mp3
I'll be downloading it and giving it a listen.

As you may know, there are special empathy neurons called mirror neurons. They fire when we see someone doing something and set off the same circuits that would go off if we did the same thing. This suggests that empathy may be wired into our brains. (I'm probably simplifying, but I'm not up on the most recent research.)

Is that what he talked about?
 
Hi Forest,

Thanks for the link. He also mentioned joy, negative, generousity and focus states as having their own circuitry and referenced the work of Richard Davidson, whom I'm not familiar with. But didn't reference or discuss mirror neurons as he did in the below youtube clip....


I particularly enjoyed the section on emotional differentiation, linkage and integration which can be particularly useful in restoring and cultivating ones own emotional intelligence and health. By practicing all components of meditation (insight, compassion, loving-kindness) and/or the use of therapy.

Overall, the interview was very insightful and some great questions were asked in the second half.

A link to the Human Connectnome Project which was mentioned in the talk.

http://www.humanconnectomeproject.org/about/related-articles/ (Human Connectome Project | Related Articles)

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has time.
 
Last edited:
This is really fascinating. I'm enjoying it greatly. It's amazing how it all connects together.
 
When he talked about the importance of anger and how you should tap in to anger to protect yourself from your internal bully, it reminded me a lot of some of what Alan Gordon says in his TMS Recovery Program:
http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program (TMS Recovery Program)

I like how in the second half he talks about practical applications. He has huge experience doing psychotherapy and is clearly brilliant. Plus, he's been through it himself, so he is one of us.
 
I'm enjoying the Summit so far. The advantage to watching it live is that you get to see the slides, but the audio recordings are good too.

I'm reading Dan Siegel's book Mindsight, and enjoying it very much. It's full of real life examples of using neuroscience with psychotherapy to help people change.
 
Wow! Humans are getting pretty smart--despite what you see in the news.:)

I like the analogy that one speaker used that humans trying to understand existence and consciousness is like an ant walking across your keyboard trying to understand how a computer works.
 
The presentation on Neurosculpting is excellent. Very practical information on how to change your response to stress.
 
Back
Top