1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Free Neuroscience Training Summit

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ellen, May 4, 2016.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, I finally listened to Dan Siegel's talk, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. I loved Diane Poole Heller's talk, though.

Rick Hanson's talk on Hardwiring Happiness is a must-listen, in my opinion. Plum loved one of his books and he's a real expert. Here's the link:
    http://soundstrue-ha.s3.amazonaws.com/oce/neuroscience-summit/media/NSTS_RickHanson_05_14_16.mp3

By the way, based on the schedule that Mike posted above, you can download the MP3 of any of the past sessions if you take a moment to learn the trick. You just put the other speaker's name and the date into the URL above. For example, here are some of my favorites so far:
    http://soundstrue-ha.s3.amazonaws.com/oce/neuroscience-summit/media/NSTS_DianeHeller_05_11_16.mp3
    http://soundstrue-ha.s3.amazonaws.com/oce/neuroscience-summit/media/NSTS_LouisCozolino_05_11_16.mp3
    http://soundstrue-ha.s3.amazonaws.com/oce/neuroscience-summit/media/NSTS_DacherKeltner_05_12_16.mp3
    http://soundstrue-ha.s3.amazonaws.com/oce/neuroscience-summit/media/NSTS_LisaWimberger_05_13_16.mp3
    http://soundstrue-ha.s3.amazonaws.com/oce/neuroscience-summit/media/NSTS_GarySmall_05_13_16.mp3

You just observe the pattern in the links above and substitute the name of the speaker (normal capitalization but no space between the words) and the date to replace the existing one. It only works for sessions that have already passed. It's quite helpful if you miss one live. At some point they might take the old files down, but they haven't bothered to yet. Amateurs. ;) (just kidding)

For convenience, here is the schedule. So far I've been able to download any of the recordings I've wanted, but at some point they might lock that door.
    Tue May 10
    10:00 AM MDT Daniel J. Siegel, MD
    Neural Integration at the Heart of Well-Being
    Tue May 10
    5:00 PM MDT Andrew Newberg, MD
    How Enlightenment Changes Your Brain
    Wed May 11
    10:00 AM MDT Louis Cozolino, PhD
    Why Therapy Works
    Wed May 11
    5:00 PM MDT Diane Poole Heller, PhD
    How You Tell Your Story Tells Your Story: Language Patterns Express Your Earliest Experiences of Being, Bonding, and Developing Brain States
    Thu May 12
    10:00 AM MDT Bonnie Badenoch
    Tender Attachments: Nourishing Our Children's Embodied Brains
    Thu May 12
    5:00 PM MDT Dacher Keltner, PhD
    The Evolution and Practice of Compassion
    Fri May 13
    10:00 AM MDT Lisa Wimberger, MEd
    Neurosculpting: Unifying Mind, Body, and Spirit
    Fri May 13
    5:00 PM MDT Gary Small, MD
    Improving Memory and Brain Health
    Sat May 14
    10:00 AM MDT Rick Hanson, PhD
    Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Lasting Inner Strength and Peace
    Sat May 14
    5:00 PM MDT Dee Coulter, Ed.D.
    Cultivating the Mature Mind’s Brilliance: Insights from Neuroscience
    Sun May 15
    10:00 AM MDT Linda Graham, MFT
    Shift Happens: Learning to Bounce Back from Disappointment, Difficulties, Even Disasters
    Sun May 15
    5:00 PM MDT Emma Seppälä, PhD
    The Science of Social Connection and Compassion
    Mon May 16
    10:00 AM MDT Kristin Neff, PhD
    Self-Compassion and Emotional Resilience
    Mon May 16
    5:00 PM MDT Kelly McGonigal, PhD
    Changing the Default with Mindfulness
    Tue May 17
    10:00 AM MDT Daniel Amen, MD
    Change Your Brain, Change Your Life
    Tue May 17
    5:00 PM MDT Janina Fisher, PhD
    Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors: Overcoming Alienation from Self
    Wed May 18
    10:00 AM MDT David Grand, PhD
    Brainspotting: The Brain-Body Relational Therapy for Rapid and Effective Change
    Wed May 18
    5:00 PM MDT Jeffrey M. Schwartz, MD
    Mindfulness, the Brain, and Leadership
    Thu May 19
    10:00 AM MDT Mario Martinez, PsyD
    The Cultural Brain: How Shared Beliefs Influence Health and Longevity
    Thu May 19
    5:00 PM MDT Stan Tatkin, PsyD
    Attachment and Arousal Regulation in Couple Therapy

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you all for this thread, and the access tips, Forest. I am enjoying some of this already...
    Andy B

3. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Ha ha! Funniest post I've seen in a while, Ellen... :D

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I liked Cozolino "Why Therapy Works." So many good insights from a veteran therapist. I appreciate what he says about "expressing anger" and the impact on "psychosomatic illness." This is at 59:00. He also addresses "core shame" and is quite realistic about the resolution or not of this painful, recurring experience. To me this points to developing self-compassion for the human condition that we all experience, rather than trying to "fix" anything.

5. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I've picked up on this on a few of the talks, the general opinion seems to be about setting boundaries and cultivating compassion and empathy.

I've not seen all of the talks, but I am quite interested in today's line up and will listen to the audio tomorrow.

6. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you for passing along this information. I listened to a few. Dr. Amen's is good info on nutritionally giving your brain the best advantage.

7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

So today was the last day, so if you want to listen to any of the recorded talks, you may want to download them ASAP. The links might stop working tomorrow afternoon.

TMS rage often comes from pushing ourselves too hard, and many people find that being kinder to themselves is the solution. (It's certainly something that I find helpful.) Kristin Neff, PhD, is one of the foremost researchers and communicators about self-compassion, so her session might be interesting for people who enjoy @Andy B's posts.
    http://soundstrue-ha.s3.amazonaws.com/oce/neuroscience-summit/media/NSTS_KristinNeff_05_16_16.mp3

8. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, I listened to more sessions than I expected. Never got the opportunity to see them live though so I missed the visuals. In some ways the ones I did hear seemed to cover the same topics, albeit with a different slant. My absolute favourite was Lisa Wimberger's session on Neurosculpting because she was so clear in her descriptions. Hey, I even took notes. I'd love to read the book but it'll have to join a lengthy queue.

I'm also pleased that my meditation teacher is running a refresher course next month for those who've completed the MBSR course. I signed right up to that. It'll focus on self-compassion and, I believe, will be based on the work of Kristin Neff and Chris Germer.

Ellen and mike2014 like this.
  9. mike2014

Lisa was excellent, but unfortunately I missed the visuals too.

I'm not sure when the interviews Forest has posted will be available until, so wanted to post this interview which covers the concepts of neurosculpting for anyone who is interested.

I love how she describes Neurosculpting as meditation on steroids

Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight (mentioned in the Summit and above interview)

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    yb44 and Ellen like this.
  10. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Mike. I listened to both. Bolte Taylor's talk had been recommended on another forum but I hadn't seen it until today. It's interesting that Wimberger has begun to work with survivors of traumatic brain injuries. She says this at the end of her talk for the summit. I also like how she emphasises in the video above that our personality traits are not fixed and unchangeable. They are a choice.

mike2014 likes this.
  11. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I caught most of the presentations and enjoyed most of them. I learned some new things and discovered some areas where I want to learn more. They were certainly worth the price of admission :)

I liked Lisa Wimberger's the best and the also enjoyed the last presentation by Stan Tatkin on relationships.

mike2014 likes this.
  12. mike2014

I haven't listened to Stan yet, but will do so. Thanks for the tip.

Wow, I've finally gotten through to a member of my family who suffers from mind-body ailments (I tried last year, but hadn't convinced him). I tried again today, by showing him a few interviews by Norman Doidge, Mark Wolynn and Rick Hanson and he seemed open to the concept... The next step, is to lend him The Mindbody Prescription.

Last edited: May 21, 2016