1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Fox News host recommends Dr. Sarno on breitbart.com

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Heya, all...

One of my vast network of spies tipped me off to a new article about Dr. Sarno written by a Fox News host named Greg Gutfeld. Here's his bio:

Greg Gutfeld has been called “outrageous and outspoken,” neither of which he denies. A libertarian political satirist, humorist, magazine editor and blogger, he is perhaps best known as the host of the Fox News Channel program “Red Eye With Greg Gutfeld.” Airing at 3 a.m. ET Tuesday through Saturday, the show covers a variety of topics, including news, entertainment, sports, and gossip. Gutfeld is also a host of FNC’s “The Five,” a weekday program at 5 p.m. ET​

Here's the link:
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/14/Gut-check-PAIN-RELIEVERS

gut_check.jpg

It's very well written. The other book he mentioned sounded interesting, too.

If you get a chance, please consider representing the TMS perspective in the comments. Perhaps we can inspire some people in a life-changing direction.dancea

By the way, in terms of perspectives, it may be tempting to make political jabs based on the website where this was published. Please keep the thread on topic, though, focusing on mindbody medicine rather than politics. Thanks!

Colly and Ellen like this.
  2. Forest

The end of the first half of the article is provocative and possibly thought provoking. Greg clearly doesn't hold back:
    The language he chooses may be crass, but it is empowering. It reminds me of how ISTDP-influenced practitioners sometimes tap into reservoirs of anger to power emotional change. For example, Alan Gordon teaches us that we can use anger at our inner bully (or the parents the inner bully came from) to power an emotional change in which we become more self-compassionate (it can take energy to make deep changes like this and the energy must come from somewhere).

I am tired of us feeling afraid of our pain or weak, and I have to wonder if the power he taps into with his language helped him.

He continues:
    Keep moving... Immerse yourself in life!

(Regarding what Greg says about new age medicine, in general, I love science and the scientific approach. I've been surprised, over the years, at how much people have been helped by alternative approaches. Nonetheless, I think of the mindbody connection as good medicine rather than alternative medicine.)

SSG likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I would NEVER do such a thing to Gutfeld or Breitbart, you know me better then that.;) One of the best parts of my night is curling up with RED EYE and gazing at the pretty bright female commentators with long legs they always put in front of the panel desk :watching:--oops, I hope that doesn't sound sexist--sorry, I like girls. Maybe Gutfeld heard about it from Stossel, or Howard Stern, the King of All Media.

BTW Forest, how do I turn off the B (bold) button and the I (italics) button when typing a reply? They keep sticking.

Cheers,
    tt/lsmft

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Forest

Oh, Jeez, Tom, it wasn't you I was worried about. It was Ellen and Jan.
    Not really. I didn't have anyone in particular in mind.
    They seem like real troublemakers. Highly refined internet trolls, in fact. :troll:
    10 points to the first person besides me who figures out how to make these spoiler buttons.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    IrishSceptic and Ellen like this.
  5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks Forest, my tennis elbow/TMS feels better already beerbuds.

6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

HA! I restrained myself from making any incendiary remarks! Took a whole lot of uncharacteristic self control:rolleyes:

Forest and Colly like this.
  7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Too easy!

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

It'[s great that Fox News ran an article about Dr. Sarno.
    The good doctor's good news is definitely spreading.

9. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Despite any feelings I may have towards Fox News and it's contributors :D I'll say that any good publicity is good publicity. So this is great!!

Got me thinking about my father-in-law. He's pretty much completely crippled up from back pain. I've never approached him about Dr. Sarno because both my wife and I agree that he would not be receptive to the message. But he does sit and watch Fox News all day. I wonder if John Stossel, and now this guy could be enough to sway him? Hmm...

"That the pain might be due to repressed anger is secondary, and to me, meaningless. "
    This "might" be why he still experiences back pain. Being unwilling to dig into the psychological aspects only get's you half the way there (in my opinion, of course). Or should I say, in my fair and balanced opinion... ;) :D

10. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I can actually see how Sam Harris’s new book, Waking Up, would appeal to a skeptical, cantankerous libertarian like Greg Gutfeld:

http://www.amazon.com/Waking-Up-Spirituality-Without-Religion-ebook/dp/B00GEEB9YC

Pure consciousness without ego, theology and dogma does have an irresistible appeal in a post-secular, post-humanist world. I do like Gutfeld's advice, distilled from Dr Sarno, about the best cure for TMS being just getting back to getting on with your life. Make perfect sense!

dancea

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    IrishSceptic and Forest like this.