1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Flaring up real bad!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Karen, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Karen

Karen Peer Supporter

And I thank you so much Leslie because you have opened my eyes to where I want some of my priorities to be from now on. I loved the metaphor of the 'child tantrum'!! Awesome thought!! You guys are wonderful. It's just good to feel hope today. I did 6 laps up and down my stairs today. I am trying to act like a 25 year old again. Trust me, it's much slower than a 25 year old...but maybe in a few months....:rolleyes:

Hug for you tonight! Back to Steve's book for an hour...... :)

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Karen, you are doing great work, I am in awe of your strength and resilience. And SO happy you found us :^)

Having just started reading my first book by Peter Levine, I'm thinking he might be the next author you could read after finishing Steve's book. His life-long work has been working with the victims of trauma - both emotional and physical - and you've had both. The trouble is, he's written so many books, I don't know which to recommend specifically - some are, I think, more scholarly, some are aimed at self-help.

I'm reading Freedom From Pain which was one of the few I could get on my Nook from my library - it's all about self-therapy, it's supposed to come with an audio CD of exercises.
    His classic is Waking The Tiger, which I have not read but have seen recommended many times
    Another is Healing Trauma which looks like it is for self-help.
    I really want to read his newest book: In An Unspoken Voice (with a foreword by Dr. Gabor Mate, who is brilliant)
    Anyway, check out the descriptions and reviews. He's a really good writer. Our friend MathewNJ recommends him highly.

Okay, my break is over, see you later everyone!

Jan
    (checking in for the first time in days - up to my eyeballs in tax returns...)

Karen likes this.
  3. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Karen,
    I just want to encourage you. I have had bad sciatica pain on both legs. I was getting really depressed over it.
    I primarily used Fred Amir's book and Dr. Brady's book. They really helped me. I started using a lot of visualization.
    I imagined myself walking. I could hardly go to the supermarket without wanting to sit after being there for five minutes.
    I am so thankful to say last night I went to the supermarket and did a fairly big shopping although I did have to sit at the end.

Right now I am so thankful I do not have any sciatica but am still dealing with some back pain when I get up from a chair.
    So, please be encouraged.
    G.R.

JanAtheCPA and Karen like this.
  4. Dear Lianne

Dear Lianne Peer Supporter

"When you've become a care giver for a family member in decline you're faced everyday with the fact that you're not immortal and all powerful." Bruce

"I wrote my own obituary." Karen

Hi TMS Colleagues:

While reading through the recent threads on this post two statements jumped out at me in particular. Not sure why, but these two statements leapt off of the page for some reason. Karen, when you wrote the obit for yourself, was that part of your journaling exercise? How did you feel about writing your own obituary and did it help you in any way? Was there any re-assessment about how you wish to live your life from this point forward? Were there any surprises for you by going through this process? I don't need you to go through all of the personal details (that's your personal business), but I wondered how the obit read and if you felt good about yourself when you finished writing? Or did you feel otherwise? It just jumped out at me so I thought I would ask you how it felt for you to do this exercise.

Bruce: I love this statement! I am a caregiver for a family member and one of the lessons I've learned is that we are not really in control, even though we try to convince ourselves that we are in control. I will say that ultimately we are powerful beings but not in the way that we imagine ourselves to be; we are each infused with an inner light that supersedes this material realm we call Earth. Finding that inner core is freedom but I don't think it can be accessed through the material realm.

Karen likes this.
  5. Dear Lianne

Dear Lianne Peer Supporter

Karen,

Talk about the physical realm, I forgot to ask you about the painting of your home. Congrats for finding someone to do this for you! What colors are you planning on painting your home?

6. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

7. Karen

Karen Peer Supporter