1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

flare up after football (soccer in USA)

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by allinthemind, Jan 30, 2016.

1. allinthemind

allinthemind Peer Supporter

Hi fellow TMSers,
    Played 5 a side football yesterday and today I have woken up in a right state. My neck is a lot more tense than usual and have pain all through my groin. It's as if my TMS gets out of control when I play competitive sports. My body tires very easily whilst playing l, I am very competitive and I am aware of the tension in my neck whilst playing/competing.

Does anyone know of any techniques that can be used whilst playing competitive sport to stop your thoughts being occupied by the activity thus inducing more TMS symptoms.

I really don't want to give up playing football. A great passion of mine and something I am very good at.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, allinthemind. You didn't say that you had a physical exam to rule out anything structurally wrong with you, and there probably isn't. You say you are very competitive. That relates to being a perfectionist and that may well be the cause of your pain. The fact that the pain moves around is a common sign that it is from TMS emotions.

I suggest you begin the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum of this web site. It will help you to discover emotions causing your pain. Do the journaling it recommends, especially regarding your competitiveness and perfectionism. You don't have to give up football, just tell yourself while playing that you are not hurting your body, that the pain is emotional. Make up a positive mantra and repeat it to yourself as you play. Something like, "My pain is not structural, it is from my emotions." Tell yourself you will play hard, but it is not about being competitive and winning... you are playing for the love of the sport.

3. allinthemind

allinthemind Peer Supporter

Thx Walt advice taken on board, will give it a go.