1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 Firefighter. Back pain for 7 years. ITS MOVING

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Firefighter474, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Firefighter474

Firefighter474 New Member

For the last 7 years, every decision I have made, I have taken my 'Weak back' into consideration. I even made a career change. I was working as full time firefighter and paramedic for 5 years and loved every minute of it, when my back didn't hurt. I saw countless Dr's, Chiropractors, Physical Therapists, Etc. I left fire service (Mostly due to back pain) and took a management position at a hospital in which time I had back pain less than 10% of the time, but I was unhappy with the work. I took an opportunity to rejoin the fire service less than a year later. Less than one hour after receiving the call to, once again, be a full time Firefighter, my back pain started. It wasn't until 2 years later that I read Dr. Sarno's book Healing Back Pain. I finished the book about a week ago and started the Structured Educational Program 4 days ago. My body has been conditioned to think I have back pain with every activity. My biggest fear is not being able to provide for my family (Stay-at-home wife and two girls under 3) doing a job that I love. I am trying to remain hopeful this is the answer. My pain is still there, but it is moving. I understand this a good thing. I will not let this back pain win.

JBG1963 likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

You have found your grail, you are on the right path. Just the pressure alone to provide for a family can create alot of repressed anger, we are all scared to fail due to fear. At least you admit your fears and now face them. In the end everything will be ok, you sound like a courageous guy. Courage is one of the most important ingredients in TMS.

Ryan

3. Firefighter474

Firefighter474 New Member

Thank you for your kind words Ryan.

4. georgethee

georgethee Peer Supporter

Pain moving was one of those things that made me belief in TMS. How could something painful move around from left to right or even to a different part of the body. I knew i was onto something. Start the program and people here are extremly supportive. Goodluck with your healing.