1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 42 Finished with SEP - Changes & Progress

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ines, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hi Everyone,

I finally completed the 42nd day. It took me almost 3 months but I didn't have time to journal every day. Here is a quick recap of how it all went down for me.

BEFORE -
    Before I started the SEP and read Mindbody Prescription I had anxiety most days. I had constant fear and a constant migraine. Getting through every single day was difficult. I would open my eyes in the morning and then within seconds I would be gripped with fear. I was very depressed. I was an empty shell of a person. I looked forward to nothing and made no commitments to social activities. I fussed over everything I ate. I ate like a freak. I constantly tried to find the pattern of what was causing my migraines.

AFTER-
    Now my anxiety is 95% gone. I still have migraines but less frequently. The biggest difference is that now that I know it's TMS, I don't put my life on hold because I have a sensation in my head. I've only gone about 5 days in the past 3 months with no sensations at all but even if I have a small feeling I will still exercise or do what I wanted to do. I now know there is no correlation between food or activities and headaches and my migraines don't get worse because I work out. They seem to be staying at bay and I just say "oh well" and let it go.
    I am so much more aware of bullying myself, trying to stay present, and my personality. I don't constantly think about my head anymore. In fact, hours will go by and I'll say "oh yeah, I forgot my head would always hurt."

ACCOMPLISHENTS-
    Some of the things I've done in the past 3 months that I'm proud of are:
    Signing up for dance class and consistently going every week.
    Taking a weekend trip this past 4th of July.
    I started running!!! Who would have thought. I've always hated it but something is telling me to do it and I have been. It's been a great release and I actually look forward to it.
    I am going camping next week for a whole week.
    Having 5 days of no sensation in my head. I've had constant head pain for 5 years so I'll take anything. I think it means I'm on the right track.

THE FUTURE-
    I have a lot to still work on such as:
    I would like to change my attitude about the future. I have these ideas of what I should have and where I should be at a certain point in my life and I want to work letting go of that.
    I'm horrible at self care. I happiest when I have a whole day of work to do. When I get to relax I don't even know what to do with myself. I'd like to get better at relaxing.
    Eventually, I'd like to get off my preventative medication.
    I think around the time of my cycle is the toughest for me. I start to worry, fret and beat myself up. I'm aware of it but I can't make it stop.
    I miss caffeine. I'd like to drink coffee again at some point.

Well, I'm sure there's much more but that's all I can think of for now. Thanks for reading and thank you for all of your advice and comments. You guys really helped me through this program.

Best Wishes,
    Ines

birdsetfree and scrat26 like this.
  2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

How wonderful, Ines! I'm so glad that you wrote all this out so you can clearly see how much you' ve accomplished. Congratulations!!!dancea

Ines and birdsetfree like this.
  3. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

You are doing so great! Well done!

Ines likes this.
  4. Ines

Ines Well known member

Thanks guys. I couldn't have done it without your help! ;)

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ines. I agree with the others about how wonderful you feel after finishing the SEProgram. It should encourage others taking it.

I too have always liked being busy and not just putzzing around or watching tv. I'm 86 and think keeping busy with work or other activities has kept me well most of my life. I'm not even sick now! I am a writer and am still working, for a book publisher. I work at home on the Internet. It keeps my mind active and also helps the hours pass until evening when I watch a movie, preferably a good old one.

Ines likes this.
  6. Ines

Ines Well known member

That's amazing Walt! You do not seem like you are 86 years old but 86 years young :)

7. SME61

SME61 Peer Supporter

Ines-
    This truly is an inspiration for me! I am on day 16!

Thanks,
    Steve

Ines likes this.