njoy
aka Bugsy
It had to happen. For months now I've had really creepy crawling sensations on my skin and pinpricks of pain throughout the night so bad that sometimes I don't sleep at all. Anxiety, right? TMS, obviously!
Well, no. Wish it were.
In fact, I seem to have an infestation of bird mites. People usually get them because they pick up a wild bird but I haven't done that. Occasionally, they come from a nest in a tree outside a window after the birds have left. No such thing. They can even migrate in on someone else's clothes but that's very rare. My chickens don't have them, thank goodness, but I'll have to treat them to avoid passing on my bugs. Good grief.
Yup, it's just me. Even my husband hasn't felt them. Apparently, they often prefer only one person in a household. I even caught one of the little illegitimi yesterday. It was really, really tiny, barely visible and an almost transparent white (or reddish if already full of blood which mine wasn't). I felt it bite me, felt it under my finger (quite hard) and since I happened to have my glasses on, with a good light handy, there it was. I wrapped it up in tinfoil (couldn't find sticky tape) and will take it to vet in on Wednesday (assuming it didn't fall out or escape).
Bird mites turn out to be horrifyingly difficult to eradicate so the next months or years are going to be a pitched battle that I will probably lose. Many people end up moving out of their houses. Bed bugs and scabies mites are a piece of cake by comparison. Fumigation works, apparently, but costs many thousands of dollars to encase the entire house in a plastic bubble and fill it full of poison. So that's not happening. Also they will starve to death in 9 months without a bloody meal but a mouse family will do.
Ain't life grand?
Well, no. Wish it were.
In fact, I seem to have an infestation of bird mites. People usually get them because they pick up a wild bird but I haven't done that. Occasionally, they come from a nest in a tree outside a window after the birds have left. No such thing. They can even migrate in on someone else's clothes but that's very rare. My chickens don't have them, thank goodness, but I'll have to treat them to avoid passing on my bugs. Good grief.
Yup, it's just me. Even my husband hasn't felt them. Apparently, they often prefer only one person in a household. I even caught one of the little illegitimi yesterday. It was really, really tiny, barely visible and an almost transparent white (or reddish if already full of blood which mine wasn't). I felt it bite me, felt it under my finger (quite hard) and since I happened to have my glasses on, with a good light handy, there it was. I wrapped it up in tinfoil (couldn't find sticky tape) and will take it to vet in on Wednesday (assuming it didn't fall out or escape).
Bird mites turn out to be horrifyingly difficult to eradicate so the next months or years are going to be a pitched battle that I will probably lose. Many people end up moving out of their houses. Bed bugs and scabies mites are a piece of cake by comparison. Fumigation works, apparently, but costs many thousands of dollars to encase the entire house in a plastic bubble and fill it full of poison. So that's not happening. Also they will starve to death in 9 months without a bloody meal but a mouse family will do.
Ain't life grand?
Last edited:
will have to do. I'll report on whether or not the vet sees my mite, the sprays work, and/or the problem goes away. That would be nice.