1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling overwhelmed, but excited to get started

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by searching4bre, Jul 3, 2017.

1. searching4bre

searching4bre New Member

Hello everyone. This is the first time I have ever posted to any kind of support group, but I felt compelled to just start writing. I have just finished listening to Sarno's book, the Divided Mind, and while the information in it does not shock or surprise me, it has hit a nerve so deep that I have finally found what I have been looking for, for so many years. For the last 7 years I have been on what seems like a never ending quest to find out "what's wrong with me". I can just about pin point it exactly to my 40th birthday when I had my very first panic attack. Just about every day since then my life has been met with feeling like absolute garbage, severe back/neck pain, IBS symptoms, allergies, or frightening bouts of anxiety attacks. Just about every day I hear my inner voice asking "what the hell is wrong with you"? You are a smart woman with a good job, a husband who is supportive, you have a roof over your head, no great problems to speak of, so get it together already! But even though I know this, it's painfully obvious that past emotional issues have managed to keep me hostage, and I am now aware that this new and wonderful thing I have discovered - TMS - is what I have been searching for all this time. I am quite surprised, given the fact that I am the constant "googler" on the never ending quest to diagnose myself, or find the latest and greatest supplement to help with my ailments, that I have not stumbled upon this. It wasn't until my husband told me at the dinner the other night about listening to Howard Stern talk about Dr. Sarno, and how he helped him with his back pain. I have been so consumed with beating myself up everyday, blaming my pain and anxiety on getting older, or the result of going through early menopause (yah that is going on too), or buying in to all the misinformation given to me by Doctors, that I have neglected to see what was really going on. If this doesn't sound like a complete psychosomatic condition then I don't know what does! :) Anyway...........I am so grateful that I have found Dr. Sarno's book(s), and to begin this journey, but I know that having support in any kind of form it might take, will be key. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to seeing sharing stories with people who are going through the same thing as me, and just to know that I really am not crazy. That there are other people out there going through the exact same things as I am, and that there can be an end to all of this chaos! Sincerely, Bre (Alberta, Canada)

AC45 and Tennis Tom like this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the Forum! Isn't it great to find out about TMS? Like you, I knew immediately that TMS was the answer to all my ailments. Now I am fully recovered. Just take it one step at a time, be patient, and persistent, and you too will recover fully one day. Keep us posted on how you're doing and feel free to ask questions at any time.

Best wishes on your healing journey........

3. searching4bre

searching4bre New Member

Thank you so much Ellen :) I am very happy to have found this. I am curious about taking Dr. Howard Schubiners online Mind Body program, and wondering if anyone has taken it, or if there are any other helpful resources. I'm on the 2nd book of Dr. Sarno too. I know I need to pace myself with all this information, but I think I'm finally on the right path!

4. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

Isn't it a relief to finally find an answer to your problems? I, too, had several years of searching for answers, feeling like crap, fearful that I would never feel good again. It's so freeing.

One thing I read recently on one of these threads was that it's important to be excited about your recovery. It may be hard to do at first, but when you start to see some changes you will feel excited and exhilarated about it. At least, I have, only one month in.

Welcome to the world of TMS healing!

searching4bre likes this.
  5. LEW

LEW Peer Supporter

I've had success on,y to spiral back. Any suggestions?

6. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hi @searching4bre!

You sound so much like me when I got started! You can do a lot on your own with the books. Eventually, it really helped me to talk to a TMS doc.

Just a thought to give you some comfort, confidence and support as to embark on this journey. I also had to get on an airplane to do it. It was worth it though.

Welcome to the Forum!
    AC45

searching4bre likes this.
  7. LEW

LEW Peer Supporter

Thanks. This is not my first round with this. I did Skype with a TMS doc but I think I was still thinking it was physical. If possible I'd like to see someone f2f. Most therapists seem to be on CA.