1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Feeling optimistic

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by cokeefe88, Feb 16, 2016.

1. cokeefe88

cokeefe88 Newcomer

Hello all,

I'm on day 8, for the second time. About nine or ten months ago, I got about this far in the program before I gave it up because I just didn't have the motivation to stick with it (not because I doubt TMS; just because my pain was already relatively minor and I was busy with other things). About a year before that, in early 2014, I read Healing Back Pain. I was immediately convinced of the truth of the book, at least intellectually, but was disappointed when my pain didn't just go away in the succeeding weeks and months.

This time, I'm reading The Divided Mind over the next month in conjunction with doing this program over six weeks. The reason I started it up again is that I was starting to feel some real fear around the limitations my back pain would place on me in an upcoming trip to Italy with my wife and kids (ages 3 and 1). Spending hours walking & standing—like walking around an Italian city or touring museums, etc.—has always been the worst trigger for my back pain, and the second-worst trigger is long periods of sitting, like on planes, trains, and automobiles.

I feel good. The day before yesterday, my back pain was close to nonexistent all day. Yesterday, it was quite bad—not crippling, it hasn't been that bad in years, but constantly distracting. This morning, I woke up and it barely hurt at all. These inconsistencies make me feel confident of the TMS diagnosis. This pain is so ridiculous. It's so stupid. Clearly, there is nothing wrong with me that I can't think and feel my way out of.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, cokeefe. Optimistic is the way to go. It takes positive thinking and perseverance to heal from any pain that is not structural but emotional, and yours do appear to be emotional. You need to stick with the SEProgram this time and believe 100 percent that you will be healed. In journaling, does one or do more than one thing come to mind that you need to deal with? I was in Italy years ago and loved it... Rome, Florence, Venice Naples. Capri. There is so much to see and enjoy in that beautiful contry. Focus on how much you are going to enjoy it. And treat yourself to a Borsalino hat. I still have mine and love it. Maybe watch some Italy travel movies from Youtube to get you in the mood.

3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Welcome back, college. I too love to travel, but it takes its toll on me physically. I have a lot of food allergies, as well as back trouble--so I totally understand dreading those long flights. But since travel is one of my favorite things, I find ways to work around my needs.
    If there' s a layover on one of those horrendously long flights, I do yoga stretches in the airport terminal. I also get up and stretch when I need to during the flight, or even stand in the rear of the plane as long as the fasten seat belt sign isn't on. I also carry small snacks--foods that are healthy for me.
    Travel allows me to learn about people around the world, hike in beautiful areas, and venture outside my comfort zone, so I refuse to give it up! I just do a bit of extra talking to my subC while on the trip!
    Blessings on your journey through the SEP.